Chapter Ten

Cassandra's Point of View :

A loud crash rattled my bedroom and awoke me from my deep sleep. I shot up from bed and immediately to my feet going into fight or flight mode. The candles in my room immediately sparked to life and the pages in my book were turning on in the wind. My heart was pounding in my chest and the blood was heard rushing to my head. The pattering of the rain hitting the wood of my floor pulled me back to planet earth.

The light from outside reflected the water drops on the wood and before I could make it to the wooden french doors there was a loud crack of thunder. I slammed shut the doors and locked them in place. I stared at the window, bringing my hand to my face trying to calm my nerves that warmed my cheeks. "Damn." I huffed looking out the windows before bringing my curtains to a shut.

I took a couple of steps toward my bed and jumped onto the mattress - the springs making a slight clinking noise. I bought the down blanket to my chin - a couple of loose feathers floating in the air. My pillow was still warm, making me close my eyes to try and go back to sleep.

"Cassandra, are you awake?" There was a tapping at my door before it creaked open and my dad stepped in. I opened one eye to him and groaned a bit before moving over in my bed and bringing my blanket over my head.

"You better have coffee," I murmured in protest to my dad's intrusion. He chuckled underneath his breath and the floor cracked with the couple steps before I felt a dip in the mattress from his body sitting next to me. He pulled the blanked down from my head and wafted the liquid in the mug. I rolled my eyes and sat up a bit with my elbow taking the hot mug from his hand. I heard his lips open to start talking and I snapped my finger up telling him to wait. "You have to let me have some before I listen," I blew into the hot liquid before taking a dramatic sip. "Okay, shoot."

"We have to talk." He looked at me through his light colored eye lashes. I perked my eyebrows at him.

"I told you I didn't want to talk about this," I rolled my eyes at him and continued to sip the hot liquid. "I am not leaving." I grumbled in annoyance. How many times was he going to ask me? How many times would I have to give him the same answer?

"You aren't strong enough to fight them. You know it. You have to go into your protective realm for now so you can get stronger." He bought his hand up to head and rubbed the stray hairs from my forehead. I stuck out my lip and blew letting the strands be caught with his fingers.

"I am tired of people saying I'm not strong," I griped at him, getting severely annoyed with both him and my mother who I knew was sitting right outside the door listening to every word being said in this conversation. "She does not have to sit out there. She can come in." He smirked a little, the corners of his mouth crooked from one another.

My mother slowly opened the door before coming in and taking a seat on the other side of the bed - nearly sitting on my feet. Her deep eyes looked at me trying to figure out how to start talking. "You know there is a super moon next week which starts the biggest celestial events in decades. The day following that super moon there is going to be an lunar eclipse with meteor showers," I put my coffee down on the night stand and slammed my head against the pillow. "They are coming."She finished and I threw the blanket over my face again.

"I know you feel their presence coming closer and I know you feel the power being harnessed." My dad's voice was poked with urgency, trying to convince me to hide. My mom clicked her tongue before pulling the blanket from my face.

"I know you feel it," my mother cooed to me as she rubbed my cheeks. "You don't think we don't hear you struggling to fight her," her voice was edged with sympathy. "Or every-time you are scared or startled your candles sparking ready to fight?" I peeked my arm from underneath the blanket, waving it in the air. The flames burning out and the smell of burnt out wicks filling the air.