Chapter Nine

Delia's Point of View :

The flames of the fire burning underneath the iron cauldron burned hot - making the liquid within stir with uncertainty. The liquid was thick and swirled with neon colors bubbling and toiling. Perfection was melting within the pot and it only will take a matter of time before I get what I want. I turned back towards the grimor, the gray pages looking more dim against the radiance of the smoking colors.

"Do you know what you are asking for Delia?" The croaky voice came from the darkness, I gripped the matches lighting more candles around me. The flames grew with power as my decision came closer to a head. I turned back around to the dark figure hiding in the corner - the only characteristics visible was his white teeth to his smile and the emerald green eyes that pierced me. 

"There is going to be a war Cyprus against us and we are going to lose this plane of existence. This plane is the only generator of power for us." I dropped the grimor to the table, dust flying from the surface. Cyprus clicked his tongue thinking about our deal as I continued jarring the dried herbs hanging from the window. 

"You lost this plane due to your own cruelties," Cyprus's voice was bitter, filled with poison. I glared at him, wanting to throw his words back at him. My fingers continued to work in attempts to cover the anxiety I had with the figure in the corner - not because of the immense power he had but because of the mere fact that he was the only option I had left to continue this line of magic. "Being given something especially something like power against the course of nature will only work for something in exchange." 

Frustration spouted from within me as he continued to question and talk me out of the decision I made weeks ago after hearing about the uprising. "You don't think I know that," I spat through my teeth at him, "Why do you think we sacrificed what we sacrificed," Did he think I wanted to murder innocents? Sacrificing magical beings was the only thing that fed into the power that charged this family. We were only able to remain in control for so many years of these planes was because of the power we generated and maintained in this family. "We need something a bit more permanent in this coven, a promise of the conservation of this coven." 

"Lineages change Delia - you do not have upkeep centuries of power and you do not need anymore than what you already have. With the cruelty you showed this plane I would be worried about what you could do with existence of everyone." Cyprus rubbed his hand against his forehead, unsure of how to respond to me. I slammed by hand down, the ring making the thud even more aggressive. 

"For generations Cyprus the women before taunted me promising that I would be nothing while they exiled me from the only thing I knew,"  I put my elbows on the table, droplets of sweat collected at my hair line and  I wiped them from my forehead. "They took everything from me." 

"Like I said an eye for an eye." Cyprus chuckled, almost edging his words with sarcasm. I nodded - turning around and nudging my head forward to follow me. The wooden chair from beneath him creaked with the release of pressure and his steps were quiet - the only evidence of him following me was the floor boards settling underneath his feet. 

I stopped in front of the window, the sun beaming into the window leaving streaks of light across the floor boards. I pointed towards the two people sitting in the grass in the distance, grinning to the man as I knew he could not pass up my deal. 

Ann sat in the tall grass her ankles cross in front of her, her back relaxed against Alfred. All their hands on her stomach, rubbing it. The swelling of her stomach barely visible underneath her sun-dress. They both smiled at each other and released a laugh from their lips. "Young love," Cyprus sing-songingly said, clicking his tongue at the moment. "Come." Cyprus beckoned me back to the table in the other room.