Chapter 48 - Reunited Blade

ELEANOR LEYWIN

"It's just as these children said. Your brother, Eleanor, is now Scythe Grey."

The room went dead silent. At least with audible sounds. My mind was moving a mile a minute. I couldn't, and refused to believe it. No matter how badly everyone had hurt Arthur, I couldn't fathom him favoring Alacrya. Joining the enemy's side and killing people for what? Power? Fame?

"You're lying."

I spat. Cried. Screamed. I didn't know how to describe how I felt. My stomach twisted and turned, anger bubbling up and threatening to break out. Salty tears that burned my skin steamed down my face like a tidal wave. My emotions of gut wrenching rage and ocean deep anguish which I wanted to let all out towards my brother was being spat out at Commander Virion. And he accepted it. All my heartache and all my anger with a caring expression.

"I am not. He spoke to me directly." He kept his head down.

Blood dripped from my hands, and collected on the ground.. My nails which I hadn't cared for very much, unlike most girls my age, were digging into my skin. I clenched my fists so harshly that my palm now had a thin crevasse of red. Feyrith was pale, you could mistake him as wearing a thick layer of white makeup. His blonde hair seemed full of color in comparison to his skin. His eyes unfocused, and shook. A mix of primal fear and great regret.

"What did he say then?" I demanded to know. I would be instantly yelled at, possibly punished for speaking to the commander this way, but right now, no one cared for that. We were too focused on what he hid from us, from me. Did Tessia know? Does the council know? Is this why they tried to capture me? Did they do anything to Mom and dad?

"Grey admitted that he doesn't want to needlessly kill. He wants nothing but the end of this fruitless war. But, before I could speak, he vanished. Not even Lance Aya using her trump card could stop him ," Virion continued.

Relief washed over me. Not flooded. Only washed. It's like you took a cup of water and dumped it on a muddy child. It helps, but barely solves the problem. My weight finally gave out from under me, as my legs wobbled, feebly supporting my weight. I crashed onto my bed, fast enough for the world to spin but slow enough for Jenaka to catch me.

No one even bothered to speak. Not me. Not Feyrith. Not Virion and not my friends. Silently, Virion and Feyrith left. I was going to ask Virion to leave regardless and I knew Feyrith needed some time to himself.

"If you need it, there is an extra room just next door. Maybe being alone will help. I know it helped me," Virion said before leaving, closing the door with minimal noise.

I couldn't comprehend it. My brother had betrayed Dicathen and became a Scythe. It was only late afternoon but I felt like I had been awake and working all night. "Ellie, do you need anything?" Jenaka inquired. She helped me lie down on my bed, keeping me stable.

"Not right now. I-I just want time to think." I answered. My whole world just shattered. I thought, somewhere deep down that Arthur was somewhere in the beast glades helping us, just to appear in our lowest time as a hero to save us. But that fragile hope was mutilated by the sudden realization.

"I don't think he's a bad person. And if he really is how you said he is, I don't think he suddenly became evil either." Jenaka tried to console me. Her eyes were pure and innocent, never changing and never faulting.

Deep down, I knew she was right. And I saw no reason to not believe it. Arthur may have been cold and callous in his past life, but he is still my brother. He would become like the horrific retainers I heard about from eavesdropping in both the castle and the Alacryan camp. I laid down, staring at the ceiling with my arm over my eyes.