Chapter 44 : Acts Out

Start from the beginning

Slamming my locker shut,I made way towards Rachel and Jay .Technically because my class was in that direction.

Suddenly stopping beside them and not having the will power to move,I stood staring at them both.

"Hi guys."I greeted,my voice croaky than I intented.

They both snapped their attention to me and for a split second I could swear that their faces paled, like they were caught doing something illegal.They quickly masked their faces with something brazen and chorused a hi.

Without trying to initiate any further conversation,they walked ahead muttering between themselves and I trekked dejectedly behind them.

Did Jay like Rachel and vice versa?

No!

I dismissed the though as quick as it came.But the evidence pointed right at my face.
Rachel had always teased me about Jay's good looks and they both did seem to take an interest in dirt racing.My thoughts weighed me over as we entered the class and I tried to focus on the power point presentation our teacher had projected.

                                             ***
The Rachel and Jay situation was getting out of hand.They both were getting too cosy for my liking as the days went by.They went everywhere together and what's worse,Fahd and Harry saw absolutely nothing wrong with it,no matter how hard I tried to point it out.It was like I was slowly loosing touch with my friends for Harry was usually off somewhere with Fahd too.

Today,it was unusually unbearable.It was literature class and our teacher was out sick so we were directed by his teaching aid to wrap up our paired group assignments.
Jay, instead of coming over to my place to help polish off our assignment sat with Rachel a few seats away as they chatted on while Rachel dutifully jotted down some most probably unimportant bullshit.
I'd texted Jay to come over but he'd texted back that I should go solo, he'd take a look at it later.

My mind reeled and my jealousy nerves ignited watching them chatter on.

"Cami,"Harry called out to me.

"Quit studying Greene,it doesn't guarantee an A plus in your assignment."She teased ,her eyes sparkling with mischief.I said nothing but looked up at she and Fahd who sat opposite where I sat working on their project, together.

"Atleast your partner's contributing."I muttered.

"Oh, you said something?"She asked brightly.

"Nope,we good."I forced a smile and she smiled back going back to their work.

I rolled my eyes as a familiar giggle erupted from behind me.From peripheral view,I saw Rachel coo at something Jay had told her.Then she gave him a confident thumbs up sign.My heart burned green with envy.I scoffed turning my attention back to my blank worksheet.

"Aren't they a sight."Harry beamed looking up at Rachel and Jay.
I didn't spare her a glance,it was a daily mantra now,Harry and Fahd acting oblivious to Jay and Rachel's shenanigans.

I looked up to find Fahd staring at me,a satisfied smirk on his face.I scrunched my brows in question and he drifted his gaze away.What was his deal?

"OMG Jake, that's perfect! She's gonna love it!"I heard Rachel squeal from  behind me.That was it,the last straw which broke the camel's back.How could one of my besties be perfectly okay flirting with a boy she knew I liked barely metres away and the other act oblivious to what was happening basically under her nose!

As if by some invisible force I rose from my seat and marched my way towards Jay and Rachel.The noticed my presence and there was deafening silence. Rachel tried pushing her notebook under the desk but I caught sight of my favourite cake shop among a list of other things.Wait, so now they were trying to go to my favourite places behind my back!

Taking Rachel's arm,I yanked her from the chair and dragged her outside the classroom.I roughly let go of her arm as she stared shamelessly back at me.

"What the fuck is wrong with you Rachel!"I seethed,my blood boiling.

"What's wrong with me?Like I'm the one sleeping around with  Ridgewood Highs quarterback !"Her words cut across my heart and I staggered back in shock.

"What!I told you the truth quit pointing fingers at me!"I lashed in disbelief.

"Now that's even funny coming from the girl trying to steal the guy she knows her bestie likes."I spat venomously,my voice quivering at the end.

"And now you're planning on going to Cake'd up behind my back."I complained,tears pooling in my eyes.

"Oh ,Camilla.Is that what you think of me."Her voice was barely a whisper as her facial expression softened.

"I thought we were besties."I shook my head sadly, looking up to see Jay, Harry and Fahd approaching.

"Oh Camilla!"Rachel moaned.

"Sorry Jake."She mouthed looking up happily at me as I watched her with judgemental eyes.

"Here goes nothing."She breathed.

"Jake's planning something for you up the rooftop.We were going to wait until after school and have you properly dolled up but I guess now's fine.And Camilla you honestly don't know how much this killed Harry and I keeping such a thing away from you but I guess you've figured it out anyway."Rachel rattled.

I looked up at Fahd,a soft smile played at his lips,Harry nodded excitedly in support and Jay,well I couldn't decipher the emotion behind his eyes earlier but now it watched me clearly,with the love and adoration he always held in his eyes for me.

My feet had a mind of their own as they walked away from them towards the direction of the staircase leading to the rooftop.My pace quickening as I skipped past flights of stairs.

Author's Note

Happy New year people!! It's 2023 ,well not at my place though.But to those of you in 2023 ...Love it well.

Xoxo
Mhaya.

Enjoy!