Chapter 37 : Birthday Blues

Avoiding Jay was painfully easy.It was like I couldn't get him off my mind ,no matter how hard I tried though I barely communicated with him lately.

Mrs Greene had taken some time off work to take care of Jay during his recovery period at home so I saw less of both brothers.
His accident happened almost four weeks ago, yet I found my heart being squeezed like a sponge anytime my thoughts drifted back to it.

On a relatively cool Thursday morning,I was supposed to be hooked onto the History lesson as the teacher droned on  about business politics but my mind wandered far from the  topic neatly written and underlined on the white board.I felt awkwardly warm in a dark blue sweater and a pair of lightwash jeans.

The clock ticked on and I subconsciously rolled the sleeves of my sweater up my elbows wanting to get rid of the horrid heat brewing in my body.

I pushed my hair behind my shoulder to obtain some more freedom, scanning the class of half awake students.My eyes flickered past each one of them ,my face holding a disappointed look, noticing the empty seat in the class, Jay's slot. It wasn't as if I expected him to be present ,he had taken some time off school to recuperate.He was a smart boy, catching up with his studies wouldn't be much of an issue.I thought to myself.

I missed him nonetheless,aching for him to be back at school knowing that I  wouldn't be able to interact much with him.

The loud bell rang through the class signalling for end of period.I shut my book close,capped my pen , stuffed my pencil into my pouch and slid it all neatly into my backpack.

Strapping my bag on my back,I felt a wave of nausea  and paid no head to it picking my way out of the class.

I found myself with Rachel two periods later by her locker.She sifted through her belongings looking for God knows what engaging in conversation with me.

"You know you can actually text Jay instead of moping around the whole place pretending not to miss him right ? He's hurt his limbs, not his fingers."She laughed.

"I know,but it's not as easy as you think.Trust me."I sighed.

"I thought you guys were tight now?"She scrunched up her face in question.

"We are but . . ."

"I get it,you want to give him space right?"

"Yes space.I want to give him space."I lied.

"Ahahaa! I've found it!"She smiled pulling out a bag of coins from  her locker.

I stared questioningly at her.

"It's for the parking meter.We are going shopping after  school remember ?"

"Oh yeah."I nodded slightly chastising myself for having forgotten we needed to pick some stuff at the mall for Rachel's Mum's birthday.

She picked a few coins and dumped the rest back in her locker.

"Wouldn't want us begging for spare change like the last time would we?"She smiled pulling me out of the large black school door to the car park .Harry would meet us later on.

                                                      ***

With the money in Rachel's purse conked out,and a little bit of mine and Harry's spent,we all drove over to Rachel's house.It was an apartment on the second floor and for once I was happy to use the elevator instead of climbing the stairs.God bless their landlord.

Pulling her front door open and hauling the bags into the room,we   felt once at ease.It was very tiring getting everything setup for a surprise birthday party.