35 - Out Of His Right Mind

"But I really don't think this whole Red Bull contract will be an issue. Christian would have to be out of his right mind to offer Daniel that seat."

--

- July 30, 2022 📍 Mogyoród, Hungary -

"Pizza is here!"

Everyone in earshot of the exciting announcement from the marketing team had congregated in the communal room on the second floor. Engineers, mechanics, even Zak, all ready to refuel between pit stop practice, the press conference, and free practice three.

This race weekend was to be the last race weekend before summer break. It was only natural we celebrate our successful first half of the year by ordering pizza.

"You guys can have a slice, you know? You two are a large part of the reason we ordered celebratory pizza." I took a break from chewing, making sure I had swallowed the bite of mozzarella in my mouth and covering my lips as I spoke to my two drivers. Both of which were sporting massive pouts as they watched on.

Daniel clicked his tongue, looking at Michael for approval, his arms crossed across his chest. Lando watched the two, waiting to see if he should make the same play on Jon. "It has vegetables on it, Mike. Come on."

Michael contemplated, then quickly exhaled, "Alright."

It was clear how much everyone in the room needed summer break to begin. A break from the busy schedule, the racing, the motorsport discussion.

With summer vacation only a few weeks away, even something as little as a team lunch surrounded by the collapsable walls that made up the Team Hub, felt like a bite of what we were all so hungry for.

A break. Relaxation. No one was more excited for me to have a break than Deborah was.

"You, my friend," Deborah had paused, her pointer finger jabbing into her webcam so ferociously. I felt the need to sit back, or else I'd have that finger jabbing into my forehead. "You need that break. And you know what you're going to do?"

Our meeting today was scheduled for the sliver of time I had between free practice and qualifying. Daniel and Lando were topping the time charts again, with Charles facing some troubles with his car, bringing Carlos up to defend the Ferrari name.

I smacked my lips together, nodding readily. At the same time, the two of us opened our mouths and uttered the same words. "I'm gonna mour—"

"You're gonna mourn!"

I took a deep breath in, holding it for a moment before letting it out. Deborah softened her voice, reeling from the excitement she was visibly feeling.

Her fists had bundled up, arms bent to her sides, face full of passion as she spoke. "You're going to mourn. You're going to feel. You're going to think about who you were, and who you are now. I want a full timeline. And you know where you'll start? The loss of your mother."

"Right," I retracted back.

There were so many things to consider; the timeline of my life. Especially considering she wanted me to start there, I mean, I wasn't even conscious then! It all felt overwhelmingly impossible.