20 - Point The Finger

"I want to see a win. Do you think you can give me that?" I lifted a hand in a readied fist, tilting my head towards it as I asked.

Bumping his fist against mine, his eyes brightened up. "Fuck yeah."

--

"Alexa, the whole team is receiving a round of praise after your cars' performance here. But, you in particular are receiving a lot of attention. Is some of your... skillful influence to blame for Daniel and Lando both finishing on the podium here in Bahrain, the first race of the season?" Will Buxton swung his microphone just below his chest as he rounded off his question.

I leaned against the counter, resisting the urge to widen my eyes in shock. "I wish I could take the credit, but no," I laughed casually.

When you get uncomfortable, just treat interviews like a conversation with an old friend, Sophie told me. Which wasn't the hardest thing to do in a case like this, being interviewed by Will. The F1 Live team knew where to draw the line. The last thing I'd expect from a post-race interview with Will Buxton was inappropriate or off topic questions.

"The engineers and mechanics are really behind it all, and of course our two talented drivers steering the ships. I simply point the finger and tell people where to be."

"Well regardless, praise is in order. You seem to be doing a fine job so far. I'm sure your team can vouch for that and we're excited to see more papaya on the podium as the season progresses."

"Thank you, Will. I have to agree, I'm quite excited to see how the season goes, myself." I hoped the smile on my face was enough to distract from my hand, trembling profusely as it held the microphone. No one seemed to say anything. Maybe I was better at hiding my emotions than I thought.

It wasn't even that I was nervous. I knew Will, and likewise I have gotten used to the types of questions asked during these bigger interviews. Thankfully, they were all race related. I never had to worry about a SkySports reporter interrupting me to ask about Daniel and I in bed.

I couldn't contain my excitement. Everything that had unfolded today was so unexpected I was having a hard time believing it was really happening to the team.

It's been since Monza that we've all been able to feel like this together. What a way to start a season.

Daniels win shook me. To have Lando up on the podium beside him, the two of them spraying each other with the bubbly liquid before linking arms and taking a sip was one of the most gratifying sights I could ever imagine laying eyes on. It wasn't how I ever could have believed the first race of the season with me at the helm to end! To know that I was a part of the team that made that all happen, although a small part; this was something we all did together.

The smile spread across my face, pushing my cheeks up into my eyes, it was a smile that was as real as they came. I couldn't stop smiling, no matter how badly my cheeks hurt or how insane I was sure I looked.

The production assistant beside the main camera setup began counting down with her fingers, my cue to look pivot and smile politely at the camera as Will directed the live crowd watching to a patiently waiting Sam Collins.

I conversed politely with Will and the team before being ushered away by Zak to our next duty. The interviews all melded in with each other, everyone wanting a word from one of the four of us before we made our way out of the circuit. It was hard leaving the track, for the entire team. Luckily our mechanics and engineers seemed to sneak away without much attention, leaving Zak, Daniel, Lando, myself, and our teams to deal with the brunt of the media.