24 - Keeping Secrets

"I think you're doing a lot," Grace trailed the back of her hand along my cheek, grasping my chin gently in her fingers and rubbing before tilting it upward. "Chin up, Shark."

--

- April 10, 2022 📍 Melbourne, Australia -

"I've made a list of things we have to do," Daniel licked his lips before smacking them together definitively.

I waited, we all waited, expectantly waiting for said list to materialize. Blake adjusted from one foot to the other, clearing his throat.

"Oh, not uh, like, a literal list," Daniel continued. "It's up here." He tapped on his temple, nodding at the lot of us.

We had just finished up with breakfast, it'd be our first full day here as a group. Daniel and Michael at least gave the rest of us the luxury of sleeping in while they went on a run. Hard as Daniel tried to get me to join them, there was no way. That whiskey left my stomach feeling like it was filled with cement.

But although we had the week off, Michael never let us forget that we had a very important race to keep in mind in less than two weeks time. Daniels home race.

Michael beamed with pride, excitement glowing from his cheeks as Daniel explained his extremely-active-in-the-most-Australian-way list of things to do. From hikes, to dune-bugging, to riding horses and dirt bikes and road bikes on the dirt roads that didn't require dirt bikes. Visiting secret beaches and cliff jumping into crystal-clear and oddly warm salt water, finishing the day with, of course, jet skis.

Blake and I gawked nervously. I heard him whisper to Olivia, "Are you positive you're going to marry Michael?"

Olivia turned to me, rolling her eyes dismissively as Michael gave Blake a shove, nearly jolting him into Jamie, who had her arms up in defense already.

I learned quickly throughout the week that I'd be really grateful to have Michael's fiancée Olivia and Blakes girlfriend Jamie along with us. Not only could they keep me company in a way the boys couldn't, but it was nice having a free moment to get to know them. A moment that lasted a lot longer than our usual dinners we tagged along on.

Especially important, since I had ended the week finding out something no one knew. No one but Blake and I.

"Oh god, Blake! It was an accident! I should have knocked!" Were the sorry claims I stuttered out as Blake shielded himself, and the item in his hands, from my view.

We had just ended a hike, ending up at a private cabin Daniel had reserved ahead of time for the six of us to camp out at for the night. By camp, I mean that Daniel insisted we pitch tents out front. His reasoning, "There is only one bedroom in the cabin. It wouldn't be fair if one couple got it!"

I knowingly followed Blake inside, just to make sure he wasn't trying to live in luxury while the rest of us slept on a bed of soil. What I didn't know was he had a much better reason for sneaking off.

I froze, staring at the rich velvet blue box in Blakes hand. My heart began beating, ridiculously, as if he was about to take a knee and utter those four breath-stealing, life-altering words to me.