Chapter 1

A/N: Ok, I wrote this a while ago and it's definitely not one of the best works. The writing does get better as the story progresses, but for now, just bear with me.
ALL RIGHTS TO KIERA CASS!!!
"Maxon! Maxon!" It was hard to run in heels. As I turned the corner of one of the many halls of the palace, I ran straight into Marlee's husband; Carter Woodwork.

"Carter! Where's Maxon? I need to find him!"

"Woah there, Your Highness. Calm down! I think I saw Maxon by his room. Why are you in such a hurry?"

"I just need to find him." I had big news to share and Carter was definitely NOT going to be the first to hear it.

"Well I'll leave you to it then." Carter said. "Have a good day!"

"You too Carter. Tell Marlee I said hi!"

I rushed down the halls to Maxon's room. It had only been a couple of weeks since we were married, so most of Maxon's stuff was still in his room and not in the King and Queen's suite we were eventually going to be sharing. I reached the corridor that his room was in to find Maxon standing outside his room.

" America dear, I have a surprise for you!" he said as he pulled me into a hug.

I held him tighter as I said, " Well, I have a surprise for you too!"

" Really? I'll be a gentleman and go first."

He took a deep breath and started talking. " America, as you know, the Selection put us through some of our best and worst times, but in the end we found that we were soul mates?" Maxon said, in an exaggerated poetic tone.

" Of course! How could I forget that?"

"Well, I have created a... shrine, if you will, dedicated to us."

He opened the door to his room and instead of his bed and collage, there were several giant framed pictures of us. One was a picture of us laying in the grass during the Selection, one was of us on our engagement day, and one on our wedding day.

" It's beautiful!!"

And it truly was. Maxon had really outdone himself.

" This is amazing, but I still think my surprise is better than yours." Maxon's surprise was spectacular, but mine was better.

" Ok then, what's yours?" he asked me.

" Well, as you know, yesterday I went to the doctor because I didn't feel very well. The doctor ran some tests, and nothing was wrong with me."

" Yeah, it must have been a head cold." Maxon suggested. He was so clueless.

" But it wasn't. Which brings me to my surprise. Maxon, the reason why I was sick is because...... I'm pregnant!"

"What?" Maxon said quietly.

"We're going to be parents." I whispered.

Maxon smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen and hugged me. There were tears running down his face, and I started crying too.

"We're going to be parents!" Maxon said, a little louder.

He kissed me, long and slow, and tangled his fingers in my hair. I broke the kiss and we stood there, staring into each other's eyes.

"I love you so much." he said, touching his forehead to mine.

He put his hands and my stomach. "And I love you too." I smiled and we stood there for what seemed like forever, until a guard burst into the room.

" Your Highnesses, I'm very sorry to interrupt, but I have a message." the guard said.

"What is it?" Maxon asked.

" Your Highness, Officer Leger has proposed to Miss Lucy. They are to be married tomorrow. Miss Lucy would like the Queen to help her with her wedding dress. If she wants to, of course."

" Yes! Where is she?" I was so happy!

" She is in the maid's work room."

"Thank you. Maxon, is it ok if I leave?"

"Of course, dear. I'm going to find Aspen to congratulate him."

I gave Maxon a kiss on the cheek and thanked the guard once more. I was so happy!