Chapter Fifty-Three

In her haste to catch up to Nadine, she hazed out the sounds from behind her. The screaming, the crying, the yelling. The clashing of metal on metal. The battle cries, the snapping, the woes.

Her surroundings didn't occur to her until those big, heavy doors slammed closed behind her.

The school held a lot of memories for Megan. Memories she wasn't prepared to delve into now.

She'd never been in this building before feeling so strong. Feeling like she stood a chance. Feeling like the scales might tip in her favour.

She shot out with a talon as Nadine made a grab for one of the safes. Her talon was sharp, cutting mercilessly through flesh and bone.

Hellfire.

Nadine's scream bounced off the walls, reverberating.

"Do you feel that?" Meg asked, taking Nadine's hand clean off. Her dominant hand at that. Venom slurred through her words. "That's not even an ounce of the pain you inflicted upon me." A year ago, Nadine used that hand to hack at her, slicing through Meg's wings as she'd screamed. Nadine had shown her no mercy. "On everyone else," She hissed. "How does it feel? Bet you never thought it would happen to you."

"Look at you," Nadine scoffed, blood seeping from her arm. She brought it to her chest, cradling it, losing blood rapidly. Her eyes had watered over, but it didn't stop a menacing smile from spreading across her face. "All grown up. Standing on your own two feet."

"It took me long enough." She pointed to Nadine's hand. "I hope you weren't needing that. It won't be coming back."

"Haven't you ever heard— of being the bigger person?"

Through the sweat and pains, Meg managed a shrug. "I wanted to pay you in kind."

"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind."

Meg didn't care. This was her fight. Her chance to be petty. She'd earned it.

"You've upset a lot of people."

Nadine rolled her eyes, her body slumping back against the floor. "You look just like them. You might as well be a demon now."

Meg's shoulders squared.

Was that supposed to be an insult?

"Keep talking. Let's see how long we can drag this out for."

Nadine blew out a tired breath. Did she know the end was coming?

"I always thought you'd be the one that couldn't settle. The one that couldn't go along with it. You were always made for something bigger and better. Always the troublem—"

A hellfire blade came soaring towards her.

A booted leg kicked it from the fate's hand before it could get nearer. Hand breaking, Nadine cried out, flinching back. "Raise your hand to my mate again. I dare you."

There he was. As ever, the demon King came to her rescue. And he had a bone to pick of his own with the fate leader. He fell in at Meg's side, sweat and blood and dirt dripping from his face. His allure didn't lessen. Neither did that look of danger.

Nadine hissed. "A demon Megan, really? I at least thought I'd taught you better than that."

She unlatched her daggers from her thigh holsters- a fitting weapon to avenge a crime- and sauntered closer to the bitch.

This ends here.

After all this time, Nadine would get what she deserved.

"Are those going to be your last words?"