Chapter Thirty-Four

A week slipped by. A week of soft, distracted kisses for both of them.

Eros' offer had seriously upped the stakes.

A week slipped into two weeks then to three weeks then to four.

A new routine was forged.

Claudio would wake her up in the morning, making a fuss of her before he left, disappearing for the day on business he saw no reason to talk about. Business Meg knew better than to ask about. The less work discussed, the better. Walking on thin ice. Neither of them wanted to think about the future.

Meg spent these days training ruthlessly with the Amazons, readying for war, thoughts of Eros' offer playing on her mind.

He's going to hate it.

But she knew what had to be done. They couldn't avoid it forever.

She felt like she'd read every book in the library. Not a single one of them had brought her any closer to where she needed to be.

She knew what she had to do.

She also knew a man who wouldn't be happy about it.

But what choice did she have?

Sacrifices would have to be made. Besides, she hadn't signed her name over to the devil just yet. She was only going for a chat.

Telling the demon King would be the hard part.

It probably wasn't the best decision to wait till last minute to tell him, yet realistically, Megan didn't have much choice. If she'd told him sooner, he'd have been sure to put a stop to it. He'd find some way to keep her busy. Something to push it aside until all was forgotten about.

If Claudio had it his way, she wouldn't be going to war at all.

Besides, she was still telling him her war plans—even if they were a little last minute. She hadn't broken the terms of their contract.

Megan was fully within her rights here.

The knowledge of that wouldn't make telling him any easier.

It marked the first morning in a while where she'd woken up before the demon King, her head on his bare chest, his big hand furled in her hair. She took a deep breath, letting the thudding of his heart against her ear steady her.

You can do this Meg.

All she had to do was tell him. Easy.

I'd rather another plummet from the heavens.

"Good morning love."

Gods, his deep and raspy morning voice did things to her. Overwhelming her thoughts and scrambling her brain, she almost forgot what she needed to say.

"You're awake," She stated, lifting her head just enough to see his face.

"You are too," He smiled fondly at her. Of course, it didn't take the King long to sense her turmoil. His hand started to stroke through her hair. "Trouble sleeping?"

"A little. I was waiting for you to wake up."

"You should've woken me."

"And dealt with a grumpy, sleep-deprived demon King?"

"Anything for you."

"I need to talk to you."

"Anything."

"You're not going to like it."

That hand paused, tensing some. "I'm listening."

Deep breath Megan. It was now or never. This had to be done today.