Chapter Twenty-Seven

Meg didn't head back to the training room after Evie left. The men would figure out soon enough she had no intention of fighting more that day. She was exhausted. It was time to have this break.

Meg's plan? Slob around.

Instead, she headed up to Claudio's room with the box in hand since Evie said to open it alone.

A part of her felt like she should've been more wary opening the box—but if Claudio trusted Evie, then that had to count for something.

She ripped the lid off, staring down at something she seriously wasn't expecting.

A raunchy red lingerie set stared up at her. Red, with confusing straps headed all about the place, and barely existent bra cups. As for the panties, that thong was the thinnest thread of material she'd ever seen. Fortunately, Meg had no problems with nudity.

Beside that was a small, pointed purple thing. She lifted it, hand sliding over the dark button on the end. When it vibrated to life, it didn't take much to figure out what Evie had given her.

A sex toy, of some sort. And by the looks of it, one Meg would be able to use on her own. The device came demon free.

Of course, she wasted no time in putting those clothes on- right after her shower. Under no circumstance was she heading back to that training room.

The King must've figured out her plan, as no one came looking.

He's letting me have the time off.

Good lord she needed it.

So, with her clothes fixed above the lingerie, she headed to the library to get a few hours of reading in before dinner where her plans would commence.

She was very much aware of said lingerie as she took her seat at the dinner table across from Claudio. Normally, they'd have Caspian with them, but he'd headed out to Morio's bar, leaving the two of them alone. Meg fully intended to make the most of it.

As per usual, the table was stacked high with food neither of them would manage to eat, but she'd recently been assured it was put to good use after they were finished.

She bit her tongue as they went through their usual routines, Claudio telling her to stack her plate higher and her telling him she couldn't possibly finish that much food. It was after that when things got interesting.

"What did Evie want?"

She shrugged, knowing better than to tell him. Above that, she didn't want to lie. Not when they had their agreement. Besides, with hearing like his, he'd hear the race of her heart and know in an instant.

"Nothing much."

Her answer clearly didn't satisfy.

"Nothing about the war then?"

"I'm aware of our agreement Claudio. I'd tell you if it were."

He relaxed for just a second before tensing again.

She knew what he'd be thinking. If not the war, then what?

But she kept him on the edge, revealing nothing.

He coughed, still pressing. "So what did she want?"

"Girl stuff."

And that answer infuriated him. He moved his fork around idly, pushing harder.

"Care to tell me about it? I love listening to you talk about your day."

"Nah, it's not very interesting."