Chapter Forty-Five

Meg stared at the spot the demon had portal jumped from blankly, an uneasy feeling roiling through her stomach.

She could picture him now pacing the floors of his castle in mental agony. She didn't doubt for one minute he'd be trying to overpower her charm, hand hovering desperately over the portal jumper to bring him back here. Only she'd put her all into that charm.

It would take him hours to come close to winning. By the time he broke through, the night would be over, deeming his effort pointless.

He'll be mad at me.

And mad would be an understatement. He'd be banging his head against the wall in frustration.

Before, his wrapping her up in bubble wrap and leaving her in the bathtub had been nothing more than a possibility. Now, it was a certainty.

He'll never let me out of his sight again.

Her demon would come around. She was sure of it. When he got it into his head that Rosa meant her no harm, of course, and that this whole unfortunate situation had been nothing more than a misunderstanding.

Besides, Meg wasn't going to stand here and feel guilty about sending him home.

No chance.

For starters, he had no right to boss her around like that—even if he was coming from a place of overbearing concern.

Secondly, he'd attempted to break their agreement, which meant Meg was under no obligation to walk her fine ass back to his castle in the first place.

And finally, Meg didn't have a finally yet—but she was so working on it.

No man gets one over on me. Not even sexy demon Kings.

The aching in her side dragged her back to reality. To the burn that marred her flesh.

Claudio would be killing himself over that, hating himself for hurting her when she'd jumped in the way.

She swallowed back the lump in her throat.

Don't think about it.

She'd deal with that later. One thing at a time.

Right now, the most pressing thing were those green eyes piercing through her back.

It was hard to breathe all of a sudden. Her palms felt hot and clammy.

She'd waited so long for this moment. This reunion. Now, she didn't know how to act.

Slowly, ever so slowly, she turned around to face the music.

Her sister stood across from her, looking exactly as Meg remembered her.

It seemed the redhead was just as stumped for words, staring open-mouthed at the other fallen angel as if she could hardly believe her eyes.

Then, like an ice bucket had hit her, she glanced to Meg's burnt side.

"We should go back inside," She said quietly. "Get that looked at."

When she turned abruptly on her feet, Meg silently followed, suffocated by the tension between them. By everything left unsaid.

A bout of fear hit her.

What if things weren't the same as they used to be?

What if Rosa wanted no part in Meg's life?

What if Rosa didn't even want her here?

She tried to push the insecurities aside, but she couldn't be certain of anything.