Chapter Forty-Six

He was going to kill her.

Which fallen angel in particular, he wasn't sure yet. He had options.

But his evil little vixen was so getting it.

Big time.

Caspian arrived back at the castle just before he could kill something. Claudio was maddened to see his evil little angel mate wasn't there with him. But Cas was quick to explain before the situation could escalate. Calming Claudio down enough for the words to digest had taken long enough.

When they did, a new panic crept upon him.

The barmaid was Megan's sister.

At the back of his mind, he now heard her saying it. He felt her little hands grabbing his biceps as she tried to calm him down, explaining why they had nothing to worry about. Because the barmaid was her sister.

But his demon's spirit had surged to the surface at the first sight of her blood. His instinct had roared to life, the need to avenge any harm done to her. Now the calm King was back in play, one thing was standing out to him.

I'm fucked.

After everything he'd done to learn from Lorcan's mistakes, he'd still gone and fucked it. He'd tried to kill his mate's sister.

He prayed she'd see things through his eyes. See that his need to keep her safe had taken over, not that it was any excuse.

But then her hurt gaze hit him square in the chest.

He'd broken their rules.

He'd swore she was free to come and go from the castle as she pleased. And yet he'd gone back on his word at the first sign of danger.

I'm fucked.

Meg would have his head.

She'd mentioned she had a sister once but he'd never thought—

And he'd met her sister before. Just the other day, in fact, when he'd been threatening her. Gods, he hadn't even realised what she was. A fallen angel. The sister thing was simply the shitty icing on a shitty cake.

But the fact of the matter stood that Rosa had still- sister or not- attacked his mate. For that reason alone, he didn't regret all of his behaviour. Yes, he regretted his lack of control. But no one was allowed to hurt Megan.

But I did.

He clawed at his chest, desperate to get his heart out of it.

He'd vowed to never hurt her, and yet he'd burnt her all down her side. Regardless of how quickly it would heal, he'd still hurt her.

I hurt my little heart.

She'd stepped in the way of his attack. Hell, he'd never meant to hurt her. But it didn't change the facts.

No one got away with hurting his Meg.

Cas explained she wasn't coming home yet, which was another infuriating factor to count in. He still couldn't leave the castle for himself to drag her back here. Maybe this was his punishment. According to Cas, she and her sister were headed to the Amazon fortress.

At least that brought him some comfort.

Kyra wouldn't allow any harm to come her way.

When she did get back though, a whole talk was in order. A talk about her charming him to leave her in dangerous situations, for starters. Not to mention a great deal of grovelling on his part. Grovelling for hurting her, and then for going back on his word.