Chapter Thirty-Five

They touched ground in Ares' lands not a second after portal jumping. That dizziness hit Meg, but it wasn't as bad as the first time she'd felt it. This time, it was manageable. She wouldn't need a yearlong nap to sleep it off.

Although a nap would still be nice.

With the arms of a demon King snaking all around her.

Calm too. With no problems for her to go back to.

He's going to be so mad at me.

She knew he didn't like this. He didn't like it one bit.

She was all too aware of the Godly presence beside her. Even more aware of his wings.

They looked kind of like what her own had looked like, only much bigger.

I miss them.

It still felt like a piece of her was missing.

"The demon's a lot more intimidating than I remember him being," Eros said offhandedly as they started towards a palace. "He wasn't as angry last time we met."

Meg could appreciate the palace was an incredible sight, but she was too busy thinking ahead to get lost in the moment. Above that, the past was still playing on her mind.

"He's not normally like that," She answered, thinking back on the red shade of his runes and that maddened look he had about his eyes. "You know him from your travels, right?"

Eros nodded. "You've probably heard it all before, but Claudio helped Angie and I out of a tight spot. He did us a favour or two in a hard time. I owed him for it."

"You gave him the location of the lake."

"I did." Thus allowing him to find her. "And I'm really sorry I can't be of more use with your angel finding situation. I used to know where some were staying, but that was a long time ago. They're not there anymore. Angie and I did check after seeing you last. And I'm not sure if they're..."

Alive.

That was a harsh pill to swallow.

There was no saying the woman she searched for—yearned for—was still living and kicking. But Meg didn't want to think like that. She wouldn't entertain the possibility. Thinking like that would only pull her down.

"It's alright. I can't blame you for dying."

"Living with the big scary demon King's got to be a bit of a change from what you're used to."

"It's very different to the heavens."

"Good different or bad different?"

She side eyed him disapprovingly. "You're prying."

"I'm nosy. And curious."

Pointedly, she stared ahead. "I like living with the demons."

The angel God snapped his fingers together acting like he'd found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. "There's the grimace. There's something else. Come on Megan. You might as well tell me. What am I going to do with that kind of knowledge?"

Oh no. No, no, no. Meg was not having this conversation. Not when she was still busily thinking it over. The look on the demon's face was still itching through her brain.

"Shouldn't we be focused on the task at hand?"

The angel God threw her an easy-going smile. "We can't portal jump any closer than this. Would you rather we walk in awkward silence?"

"I'd rather we didn't have to walk at all."

She couldn't help throwing him another glance.

"You miss the wings," He surmised casually. So casually it hurt a little more. "I get that." Did he? How could he? He still had his. "So the demon."