Chapter Nine

What do I do now?

Megan didn't understand much about this world. As a matter of fact, she didn't understand anything about this world. But she wasn't stupid.

By the look on the demon King's face, she could tell he'd revealed some sort of huge truth to her. But, with her limited knowledge of this place, she doubted she grasped just what he was trying to indicate.

He was watching her expectantly, waiting for a reaction. Only Meg didn't feel any different from how she'd felt five minutes ago. Sure, her back hurt less now, what with his backpack house being removed from it. And yeah, she was kind of bummed to have been caught so quickly, but other than that, there was nothing new.

Clearly this wasn't what he'd been anticipating.

"Did you hear that?" He asked her.

"Hear what?"

"What I just said."

"Uh, yes?"

"About you being my mate?"

She raised both eyebrows. "Yep. My ears weren't cut off. Just my wings."

"Don't make jokes about that."

"What if that's how I cope?"

Gods, his little mate was insufferable. Mate. The truth both.

"So you heard me?" He checked again.

"Haven't we established this already?"

"And... anything you have to say about that?"

"No. Not really."

"Do you understand what that means?"

She gave it some thought. "Nope. Not really."

She hadn't thought to ask for an explanation either. Meg was figuring there was plenty in this world she didn't understand. The list was piling up. Once she'd come to terms with the important things, she could get to worrying about these other things. For now, she had her priorities.

"Okay," Claudio said, seeming troubled. His trouble was short lived. The fallen angel was back to sizing him up, eyes darting to the space around him. More specifically, the routes for escape.

Naturally he'd bagged himself an independent mate.

Whilst he'd been waiting centuries to spoil her, she'd been brewing her one-woman tour.

"Don't even think of it," He warned when her eyes darted to the side and back to his gear. "I'm being diplomatic with you. Once you're past this sex offender spiel, the way I treat you now will go a really long way. Especially when you get a load of my friends' stories." His friends? Shite, he'd put his foot in his mouth. Now Meg seriously looked alarmed. "I'm trying hard here to be civilised and it's not in my nature."

The first impressions were what counted.

Claudio didn't want Meg to remember him for being a caveman. So Gods help him, she'd better stop trying to peg it. With her balance, she could very well trip and die.

It hadn't yet occurred to him that she probably wasn't used to walking. But as he watched her shuffle from foot to foot, seeming uncomfortable in her shoes, his heart ached for her.

I'm getting her those wings back.

Even if it was hard. Even if it kills me.

"What are you trying to say?" She asked.

"I'm trying to say... If you run off again, I won't be so calm next time I catch you. I will hurl you up over my shoulder and refuse to let you walk on your own again until we reach my castle. Caveman style."