Chapter Sixteen

In the dark, Meg sat up awake mulling over what Faith had told her.

About what it meant to be mates.

She was sure Claudio had tried to tell her repeatedly, but things kept getting in the way of the full explanation. And now he'd waited so long that he'd started to dance around it. This time, he'd promised to tell her in the morning. He didn't want her sleeping on that information.

She supposed she understood why, but it was still problematic.

Meg thought it'd do them both a little bit of good for him to get it over with.

Did he plan on keeping her captive here? Meg wouldn't stand for that.

But one thing she knew for certain was that there'd be no sleeping on her end until everything was out in the open.

She'd spent enough of her life being blinded by secrets. She didn't want secrets to pave the path in this new life.

So Claudio had to tell her everything, basically.

What that kid said had terrified her, and yet it had comforted her all the same.

With Claudio, she had the promise that she wouldn't be alone. The promise that someone down here was going to be looking out for her. Equally, she felt like she was in over her head.

He was going to love her. Or so Faith thought. How could he know that? How could he already know that she was the one for him? Didn't she get a say in that matter?

He'd been alive for centuries. How could he cherry pick her as his perfect match?

She didn't understand it.

So, he had a destined bond to her. That much he'd got in the open already. Now they just had to clear up the who, what, where, when and why.

They had some other things to get in the open too.

In the forest, he'd assured her that he'd help her find her feet.

Up until now, she'd been under the impression he'd be taking her somewhere she could start a living. Somewhere she could find work and set up a life for herself from scratch.

Now, she had a feeling that wasn't quite what he meant.

He said that he'd help her find her feet. But he hadn't specified where they'd go to do that.

She had a feeling he'd be helping her do that right here. Here, where he could keep an eye on her and ensure her safety. Since that was kind of what he did for her now.

She wasn't going to kid herself into thinking this thing with Claudio was a bad future. He'd been nothing but kind to her. Supportive. Caring. Considerate. He didn't look like a mother hen, but Gods did he know how to smother her.

Still, it wouldn't hurt him to be a little more direct.

Meg was sick of being left in the dark. So now it was his turn to suffer in it.

She knew he wasn't asleep either.

In his bed upon the floor, she wasn't sure sleep was even possible. He'd been worried about her getting a bad back on the couch for heaven's sake. But she was sure he was laying down there in contemplation.

Meg was no idiot.

She knew the effect her body had on him. Especially after their little talk.

And if it what Faith had said was true...

She teased the covers down her body, tentatively lowering herself to the floor. She knew he was awake. She could feel it, even though his eyes were closed and his body was still. She lowered herself to the ground completely, stretching out by his side. When she invited herself beneath his covers, she heard the shake in his breathing.