Chapter Eighteen

As Claudio walked through the castle halls hot on the tail of his little mate, he watched her feet avidly, taking in every stutter and stumble. She was still uneasy on her feet. Still wobbly and hesitant.

Taking flight was second nature.

The ground would take some getting used to.

But Gods be damned, he'd get her to where she needed to be.

His fingers flexed in the air, ready to catch her on the off chance she might fall.

"You'll never have to worry about threats while you're here," He said, selling it. "The castle is lined with guards and I trust them with my life. They wouldn't allow anything to hurt you. Above that, portal jumping on these grounds is impossible with the barrier up. Threats can't simply appear whenever they please. They'd have to navigate the maze and the forest to get anywhere near. Above that, you'll have me. I won't let anyone hurt you. Anyone touches you, or even thinks of touching you, I'll sever their heads from their necks and present them to you as gifts."

"I appreciate that, but the gift part isn't necessary." She pulled a face. "Unless that's like a demon custom or something."

Precious. His Megan was precious. 

"People I don't trust won't even get the chance to look at you. Caspian will be keeping his eyes out. Every demon in the castle will be on the lookout, always at the ready to come to your assistance. And then—"

"I'm not worried," She interrupted with a knowing look. "I can fight."

"Not dirtily."

He'd seen her fight dirty one way, but not in the sense they'd be needing it.

His bollocks sure remembered that little set up.

She raised an eyebrow. "Why would I want to fight dirty?"

"You can't win a dirty fight by fighting clean. Give me time. I'll have you fighting dirty. Winning will be second nature to you."

No one will beat her.

Not even me.

Claudio had more to learn from his friends. He'd learnt from the Prince of the werewolves' mistakes and refused to let the same happen here. That Prince had been aware of weaknesses of his mate. He'd waited too long to teach her to fight around them. Thus, when he couldn't make it to his mate's defence in time, she'd been left to suffer.

If a threat came towards Megan, she wouldn't have to rely on him saving the day. She'd be able to save herself.

The woman in question slanted him a raised brow. "You're optimistic."

"I'm determined." Training would start imminently. And Gods help him, she'd go through with it if she knew what was good for her. It was one thing she wasn't getting a choice in.

Megan would be strong, even if she didn't want to be.

He'd made certain it was written into their conditions.

Soon, they drew to a stop. Claudio's hand fell to the small of her back, holding her in place.

Now for the painful part.

Parting ways.

He'd gotten used to sleeping by her side. Sure, with her nestled up against him, he spent more time looking at her than he did sleeping. But it'd be weird going back to the way things were before. Their distance would be unsettling.

"That's the door to your room. This is the door to mine. These are the only rooms on this side of the castle. If you need me for anything, all you have to do is shout. I'll hear you through the walls. And I mean anything. If you need help with a zip, you've fallen over, you need someone to help you—"