Chapter Thirty-Eight

A year ago, if someone had told him what Claudio was doing right now, he'd have called them mad. Now, with everything at stake, it felt like the only sane option.

Ironic, since it was the most insane of them all.

The things I do for you Meg...

The hunter wasn't happy about his part in it. Not happy in the slightest. But what choice did he have?

Emilio had pissed off a lot of royals in his time. Adding Claudio's name to that list wasn't exactly his goal.

"Here we are," The hunter said. He couldn't have sounded any less happy about it.

Eyes focused ahead of himself, Claudio spoke. "Any games, hunter, and I'll hunt you down and kill you myself."

This was the riskiest play of them all.

Claudio was putting everything on the line here. He'd came to do the forbidden.

Anything for her.

"I believe you," The hunter conceded. "I don't want any trouble. I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime. I've no desire to get on your bad side."

"Wise choice."

They both knew Claudio was telling the truth. He was ruthless- merciless- if the situation called for it.

This was for Meg. His mate.

Anyone that messed with this would die a long, miserable death.

"I won't go any further than this," The hunter said. Physically, it didn't look as though he could take himself any further. As if his legs might buckle if he even tried to. "If I go any closer, I'll be killed on sight. I barely escaped with my life last time. I pissed the main guy off. For the sake of my life, I shouldn't go further than this."

Which made sense, all things considered.

Last time the hunter had been on these grounds, his girlfriend had stabbed the ruler of this place right before they mystically ditched.

"You've gotten me far enough," Claudio answered.

"I'm not used to working for free either."

"You brought me here and in turn you kept your life."

"A fair trade then." The hunter knew better than to argue. "He'll know you're here already. They'll be able to feel it."

"I hope so."

"I hope you get whatever you're looking for."

The hunter took a hearty step backwards, portal jumper already in hand.

"Good luck with whatever it is you're here for." The hunter probably thought he was mad.

Maybe I am.

He felt the zip of electricity in the air. The hunter had gone, getting the hell out of this place at the first chance he got.

Claudio didn't blame him.

Had he been in the hunter's shoes, he'd have done the same.

The land around him was dead, sparse of colour. The trees were bare and the sky was dark and starless.

In the distance, Claudio spotted an old, gothic castle. The type of creepy that could only be found in one place. The warlock stronghold.

Welcome to Triumph.

He was probably the only bastard to have ever come here willingly.

Gods, he'd seriously do anything for Meg.