Chapter Thirty

"Are we ready ladies?" Claudio asked, done with his talk with Caspian.

Ready as I'll ever be.

The girls took a big step apart when Claudio came near, their former conversation buried under a blanket of agreed silence.

Meg was sensing Claudio wasn't all too good with this side of life. He wasn't very good at reading into a situation. The tension between the girls went straight over his head.

"Okay," He said. "This is how it's going to go. We're going to do to the best of three."

Caspian sidled up behind him, a thoughtful look about his features. He dropped Meg a wink, a look of camaraderie. "What does the winner get?"

"There is no winner." Claudio gave them all a firm, stubborn look. "This isn't a competition. This is a learning experience to improve from." He glanced between the women. "For both of you."

"What if they make it a competition?" Caspian pushed. "Put a little stake on it. Get them moving."

"This isn't—"

"Look at it this way," Cas pressed. "This is all about trying to make it an authentic experience for Meg. Well, when she's fighting up in the heavens, there's a goal beyond the sake of fighting. She's fighting to win and she's fighting not to die. Put a little competition on this. Try to replicate that feel. The ladies are down for it."

Ruby was the first to nod, confident that she'd win. "I'm up for it."

A nod from Caspian had Megan nodding as well.

"I am too."

Any chance to prove she was worthy of Claudio.

The King gave her an intense look.

They should've known her decision would sway him.

Tactical advantage.

"Okay. Then it's a competition. The best of three wins."

Only Caspian wasn't done yet. "And what does the winner get? Come on Claudio. They're not fighting for bragging rights. Give this a bit more flare."

"Bragging rights should be more than enough."

"I say the loser sleeps in the cells for a week."

The King's body tensed, nostrils flaring. When his eyes darted her way, she gave him a supportive smile. Obviously that thought hadn't gone down all too well with him.

"That's not happening."

"Why not?" Cas asked. "It'll up the stakes."

"I'm not entertaining the possibility of my mate spending the night down there. Definitely not seven."

Ruby swallowed a lump in her throat.

Meg understood. Claudio hadn't said anything about her.

The next look he sent Meg's way said it all.

The only place she had any business being in the night was in his bed.

Especially after the night before.

Caspian tutted disapprovingly. "Sounds to me like you're banking on Megsy's failure." And if she'd thought the King was tense before...

He gave her a look that said the opposite. A look that all but begged her not to think that was the case.

Meg gave him another one of those smiles.

It didn't do much to relax him. Not with Caspian's mouth still open.