Chapter 36 - Haunting War Cry

Start from the beginning

He takes another step towards me, invading my space but I can't shake him. I wanted to answer his rhetorical question but my voice catches in the back of my throat. I look down at his broad chest to get away from the intensity of the gold. My attention veers to a medallion he has hanging from his neck. It starts glowing...or maybe it was glowing before, and I didn't notice. I realize I'm not breathing while I stare at it. I feel completely entranced as it calls to me like a Siren. A part of me feeling like it's alive.

"There hasn't been a war declared since before my reign," King Aiden's words catching me off guard. I look back up at him. His thick dark eyebrows furrow like he's wondering what makes me so special.

Fear suddenly clutches me. For several reasons. I realize in this instant that I can't feel my wolf. My mind is completely empty, and it grapples me knowing I'm completely alone. Secondly, he knows about the war. He knows about Matthew and Bren's declaration.

"You know about that?" My voice wavers.

The King smiles and I can't help but realize how menacing it looks. "Yes Helen," He says lowly with my new nickname. "A declaration of war can be heard across the world."

I think back to when Matthew and Bren howled. Their formal declaration must have echoed through the werewolf community overnight.

"I won't ask for you to kneel yet." The Alpha King retreats to his throne. His silhouette shrouded again in darkness.

I frown, "Why not? I'm more than happy to kneel."

"I have no yet decided which pack you belong to. A vow of your loyalty is always tied to your mate and pack." He explains briefly. I watch as he waves his hand, and everything starts to shimmer away like a mirage.

Panic starts to set in, and I try to keep my gaze on him, "I'm part of the Valley."

"We shall see."

I start to feel myself slipping away. And I can't help it. I start screaming at him, "I'm the Luna of the Valley!"

"We'll meet soon, Helen." There's amusement behind his voice, "Try not to let Troy burn down."

I jolt awake, sitting up straight in my bed. Sweat beaded across my forehead and gasping like I can't breathe. Whatever magic King Aiden uses to get inside my head makes me sick. It feels like I have motion sickness all of a sudden or I've teleported like in Harry Potter. I clutch onto my stomach as I fight the nausea that's settling in.

"Gorgeous," Matthew's gruff voice slices through the air. He rubs the sleep out of his eyes, "Are you alright?"

I simply nod, afraid I'll throw up if I open my mouth. I put my hand up to him for a second and Matthew sits up. He rubs my back lightly until I feel like the world is no longer swaying. I sigh out in relief and turn to him, his gaze concerned.

"I met King Aiden." I tell him barely above a whisper.

Matthew's eyes widen—even though he knew it might happen—I think it still catches him off guard. "He Dream Wandered?"

I nod, pulling my legs to my chest. I can't help but wonder what other powers he has. Everything about my short interaction with him was laced with incredible magic. Magic that werewolves are simply not taught. I keep replaying our conversation over and over and I try hard not to think of the last few words he said. About being unsure which pack I belong to. I'm also certain that Matthew doesn't want to hear about that side of the conversation.

Before he can ask anything about it, I look at him softly and push a hesitant smile, "He's kind of scary you know."

Matthew chuckles, "I know."