14 ✽ A Mischievous Princess

In the Crown Princess's courtyard, a match was taking place. Several court ladies gathered around a wooden table, peering at one another excitedly but with a tinge of caution.

Today, there were no lessons scheduled for Eun-bi, which was why she decided to spend time with her attendants. Coaxing them to join her in a game of cards.

Spending their entire lives working hard in the palace meant that games were a pleasure they couldn't enjoy. Thus, Eun-bi stepped in to teach them the rules of the game. In the palace's eyes, this would definitely not be appropriate, but she figured this wouldn't count as gambling, because no money was involved.

Eun-bi flipped her cards open. "I win!"

Everyone grumbled at their losses before gathering and shuffling their cards for the next round. "You're just too good at this, Your Highness. Can't you go easy on us?"

She laughed. "Fine. I'll sit out in the next few rounds. I shall grant a rest day to the person who wins in the next round."

That spurred everybody's eagerness to win. They scrambled back to their seats, studied the distributed cards in their hands, and eyed one another like a hawk.

The scene itself was so hilarious that Eun-bi couldn't resist laughing out loud.

However, Byeol was worried. "Your Highness, I think we should stop playing. What if Senior Court Lady Yi catches us? We will be in so much trouble."

"Relax, Byeol. I've already checked—she's busy serving the Queen Dowager today. Besides, it has only been an hour since we started playing! That's not long enough."

Her servant bit her bottom lip. "I'm still worried."

"Don't you be. Look over in that direction–Court Lady Kim isn't even worried." When Eun-bi stole a peek at the said person's cards, her eyes widened. "I'm shocked. How come you're so good at this game?"

Court Lady Kim cleared her throat. "It's because I'm a natural at this game, Your Highness."

"Is that so? I was wondering if you've been playing in secret–"

"Your Highness." The older woman's voice dropped into a whisper. "Focus on your mission while I distract everyone."

"Oh?" Eun-bi was surprised for the second time. "You knew?"

Court Lady Kim gave a slight nod. "I've spent a period with you. Unlike in the past where you were reckless, you're careful nowadays. Behind every action carries a meaning."

Eun-bi grumbled under her breath, but she was happy that Court Lady Kim was warming up to her. "Is it that hard to offer a compliment? Must you include an insult too?"

The woman gave a small smile.

However, her words weren't wrong.

After interrogating the captured maid last night, Eun-bi realised that she barely knew the servants working in her quarters; their names, ages, families, or backgrounds.

She didn't like the fact that her court ladies could run around like mice and secretly work for others. Like Yul said, there were only a few she could trust and she should find them before their loyalties went elsewhere.

If she wished to understand her court ladies, she would have to learn more about them first. This way, she could find those that she could rely on and build their trust and loyalty to her. In return, she would do her best to provide a safe environment for them to work in.

But of course, that was only half the reason.

After all, she wanted to play cards because she was truly bored.