13 ✽ An Angry Husband

Yul was livid.

His shoulders went rigid, his sharp jaw visibly tensing and lips pressing together tightly. His eyes roved over the words and he appeared even more furious, almost crumpling the letters in his hands.

"What are these?" he demanded, taking a step closer. "Explain."

Eun-bi gulped. "I... Well, I was about to tell you about them today—"

His hard gaze travelled from her, over her head, and to the exit behind her. In a split second, he marched forward, clearly having a target in mind.

This made Eun-bi drop her books immediately. She blocked his path, holding him back by his shoulders before he would storm through the door and murder someone within the palace grounds.

"Wait! Listen to me—"

As she attempted to push him into her room, she slid backwards on her feet instead.

Why was he this strong?

Or was she not eating enough?

Out they went out, skidding past their servants who became alarmed at their sudden argument. The blistering rage on his face sent shivers down their spines, and they forced their heads down. The only person who was least frightened by this scene was Yul's personal bodyguard.

"Jung-ho!" Eun-bi gave him a flustered stare that clearly screamed, "Help me!"

However, he shrugged and looked towards the wall next to him, insinuating that she would have to rely entirely on herself to deal with this matter.

That traitor!

Eun-bi was definitely going to lodge a complaint against him to her sister someday.

Returning her attention to the major problem at hand, she yelled. "Wait, Yul! I already have a plan in mind! Will you listen to me first–oof! "

Her hands slipped off his shoulders, and she smacked her forehead against his chest, letting out a loud groan. Her hands wound around his waist instinctively as her legs wrapped around his calves, hanging onto him for dear life. If she let go, her bottoms would suffer the most from the fall.

But that did it; she forced Yul to a stop, and that made him glance down at her.

"Your Highness, you're the most handsome, benevolent and patient man I've ever known," she blurted out quickly. "Will you please give me a chance to speak first?"

He closed his eyes to control his emotions. When he opened them, he glared at the rows of ladies-in-waiting. "From this second, no one may leave. Move a step and the guards will take your lives."

His order thundered down the hallway and, shortly after, royal guards shuffled in to watch them and seal off the exits.

Yul hooked under Eun-bi's arms to pull her upwards. He safely secured her in his arms before carrying her into her room. Despite how fearsome he looked, the ragged breathing through his chest told her he was worried about her safety.

He set her down on her feet and gave a resigned sigh before asking quietly. "When did you receive them?"

She bit on her lip. "The day after our marriage. Someone left them in my room twice. I'm aware this is the doing of a court lady."

"Have you caught her?"

"Not yet."

Yul clenched his fists and breathed in deeply, trying to rein in his emotions. "Tell me about your plan."

She offered a smile and reached for his hand to rub circles on his knuckles. "Actually, I've already gotten Court Lady Kim to investigate this matter," she explained. "Now that you've forbidden my court ladies to leave this place, I guess it's finally time to apprehend the culprit. However, I need your help again."