16 ✽ Missing Home

Eun-bi was dull-witted in dealing with formal affairs, but the contribution of Yul's intelligence and experience eased her worries. After taking his insightful feedback into account, she submitted a somewhat decent proposal to the King.

In two days, he granted her his approval and the construction of the academy began.

However, it was far too early for her to celebrate her success.

When Eun-bi woke up to her day of duties the following day, stares and whispers seemed to follow her whenever she went.

She gestured to Byeol to come closer. "Why are they all staring at me? Did I grow an extra arm or leg?"

Byeol winced. "No, Your Highness, it's because people are against the construction of the academy..."

Soon enough, Eun-bi learnt that the news of the academy accepting females from all social classes had already circulated around the palace and across the capital.

Now that the official announcement was out, it brought about a mixed reaction; more bad than good.

Government ministers, officials, scholars, nobles and male citizens began voicing their concerns and objections to the project. Claiming that women would forget their duties at homes and that this would weaken the men's rights within the society.

And yet, Eun-bi found them ridiculous. There had been a disparity of rights between genders. What was wrong with her trying to improve livelihoods? All she intended to do was to support her peers and provide job opportunities, but some people were already showing their discontent.

The King may have dismissed their pleas to cease the construction works, but how long could he ward them off?

A weary sigh escaped her lips. The King would come looking for her again to discuss their next step and she wasn't looking forward to it.

She didn't enjoy this tension. Politics wasn't her favourite subject and never would be.

Sensing a looming headache, she headed for the stables, chasing away the court ladies and guards until they were ten feet away. She brought along her basket of treats, only to have them chomped up by Bo-mi and his newfound friend in a short time.

"I miss you, Bo-mi," she said, while petting his muzzle. "And home, too. I wonder how my family is doing. Do you think Father's snores grew louder? Does Mother miss my pranks? And do you think my sister has forgotten about me? Why haven't I heard from her?" With a sad little pout, Eun-bi plucked at her sleeves. "She better send me some treats!"

When Bo-mi snorted, she handed him a slice of apple. "What do you think of your life in the palace, Bo-mi? Humans are scarier than ghosts and animals, aren't they? I'm so glad you're with me in this palace. Even if you're dribbling saliva and messing up my clothes, I know I can still count on you."

Despite knowing she wouldn't get a response from her beloved horse, speaking gibberish to him eased her headache. Once all the treats disappeared, Eun-bi felt something nudge her back and gnaw on her hair.

"Err... Bo-mi? That's my braid, not a carrot stick."

Her horse released her braid and let out an annoyed whimper. He nudged her shoulder once again, neighing continuously like a whining child.

She petted his favourite spots—head, chin, and muzzle—but it didn't soothe his restlessness. "I don't understand what you're trying to tell me, Bo-mi," she said. "I wish I could speak your language."

Imitating his nickers, she earned herself bewildered looks from her waiting attendants. "See?" She choked on her laughter, knowing how silly she looked. "Told you I couldn't do it."