2 ✽ Da-hee

Eun-bi was back at her antics again.

Hair bun. Check.

Hat. Check.

Clothes. Check.

She was impressed with herself. Taking a step back, she examined her reflection in the mirror. A boy dressed in a casual male robe and a light moustache stared right back at her. Her hands were on her hips, her lips stretched into an impish smile.

She wasn't certain if her disguise was excessive. The dark bush between her lips and nose looked hideous on her. It reminded her of her fifty-year-old uncle with a potbelly, including the way how rice grains would, sometimes, clung to his thick moustache during meals.

On second thoughts, she should take it off because it was tickling her nose, which was about to bring forth a huge sneeze–

"Achoo!"

Just then, Court Lady Kim entered the room, carrying a tray of candles to replace the ones in the room. When she saw Eun-bi's disguise, she let out a startled shriek.

"Your Highness! What is that weed growing on your face?"

Eun-bi gave her an innocent expression. "This? It's my disguise. What do you think? Do I look like a boy now?"

As she spun around once to show her outfit, Court Lady Kim grimaced. She peeled off the moustache quickly, which made Eun-bi flinch at the sharp, searing pain.

"Ow, ow! That hurts!" She rubbed at the skin between her lips and nose, grunting incoherently. "Couldn't you've given me a little warning? I'm very delicate."

Court Lady Kim held back a snort, looking amused, but she concealed it behind a cough. Taking a step back, she appraised Eun-bi's look, nodding once in content. "Now you look a lot better. After all, you've a reputation to uphold. We can't let you wander out of this room and give another scare to the poor maids waiting on you."

Eun-bi grinned. "After staying two months with me, shouldn't they have already learnt that they shouldn't expect anything less from me?"

"I can't speak for the others, but I would suppose you make sense," Court Lady Kim sighed. "After all, I've witnessed a lot of your pranks ever since your first day in the palace."

"Ah, the kick. It was amazing, wasn't it?"

"Amazing isn't quite the word. It was...out of this world."

To hear the older woman finally drop her proper attitude and speak in all honesty was extremely pleasing. "Oh heavens! Thank you for the flattery!"

"Flattery, you say..." Court Lady Kim's tone was full of doubt. "I'm not quite certain if my words were heading in that direction..."

She shook her head in disbelief, which only earned a satisfied laugh from Eun-bi. The girl sauntered her way out, but the court lady halted her midway with a worried frown. "Your Highness, will you not let me accompany you on this trip?"

"No. I'm wearing a disguise, aren't I? Do not worry about me," Eun-bi assured her. "I'm bringing several undercover guards with me, so I will be well protected. You may return to your quarters to rest. I promise I will return safely in one piece!"

Court Lady Kim gave her a bitter smile. "You better be, or my head will roll across the ground the next morning. Have a safe trip."

Her words made Eun-bi's smile falter slightly. Gulping once, she promised once again and left her bedchamber, sauntering out in her disguised outfit. At the sight of her baffling appearance, all ten of her bodyguards tensed immediately and reached for the hilt of their swords.