17 ✽ Noblewomen

In the Great Hall, thirty noblewomen sat in their assigned seats with confused expressions. Wondering what was about to happen to them today.

This was an expected response, considering how Eun-bi had invited them to the palace without disclosing the reason for the gathering. The only ones who knew what was about to happen today were Yoo-jung, Jin-hee, and her court ladies.

In this setup and atmosphere... It brought back memories of the Selection days to Eun-bi, where she was the most disobedient student in the class.

And yet today, it was different.

Everyone had to bide by her rules now.

She stood at the front, tapping her feet nervously. Her eyes connected with some familiar faces—the eliminated candidates from the Selection. As for the rest of the noblewomen, they were people whom Eun-bi had met a few times in the past when her parents dragged her to attend banquets hosted by other noble families.

No one seemed to share her excitement, looking as if they were forced to come. After all, when Eun-bi sent out the invitations to their households, they couldn't decline an invitation from the Crown Princess herself.

Likewise, she didn't wish to resort to this method too. She hated wearing a smile in front of people she wasn't well-acquainted with, but she ran out of options to soothe the grumpy souls.

If all were to proceed well, these ladies would be the key to achieving her goal.

Besides, this was her first public meeting ever since she had received her royal title. Hawk-like eyes from the side were watching her every movement, and if she wasn't careful, she would risk getting another earful from the senior court ladies. One that was enough to get her ears bleeding.

Eun-bi returned her attention to the ladies before her. Clearing her throat, she attempted to adopt the eloquent tone that her sister often used.

"Welcome to the palace," she said confidently. Even she was surprised by how formal and succinct she sounded. "I thank you all for accepting my invitation at such a short notice. Ever since I've become the Crown Princess, I realise I don't know my peers well. And after today, I hope to get to know each of you better."

The noblewomen exchanged perplexed glances. An awkward silence settled in the air, and Eun-bi's smile faded.

They looked as if they had questions for her—no. In fact, they looked as if they were about to claw her alive.

A scoff came from the corner, followed by a grumble. "Isn't your lie a little too obvious, Your Highness? Aren't you trying to gain our support and convince our fathers to stop opposing the construction of your academy? Everyone here knows that you're facing problems in that project recently."

Eun-bi snorted. The obvious jealousy in Pompous Lady's eyes and her scornful tone spoke volumes. She looked familiar, and that was when Eun-bi recognised her from the Selection—an eliminated candidate from the first round.

Neither intimidated nor upset, Eun-bi flashed an innocent smile. "Is it that obvious?" She asked, clearly forgetting her promise to Court Lady Kim to speak humbly and elegantly. "Since you've already figured it out, I'll speak the truth—I'm giving you all lessons today. For free." When their faces turned incredulous, her smile widened. "And you're welcome."

"Lessons? But Your Highness, you hate them the most. How can you possibly be a teacher?"

Eun-bi arched her brow. They weren't completely wrong. Everybody knew her reputation since the Selection days.

Even if they insulted her today, she must endure it for the sake of her academy. No matter how pissed or annoyed she was, she must rein in her emotions. She must hold them in like how everybody would whenever they feel like breaking wind in public.