Chapter 32 - The Curtain Comes Down

When I was young, I would always love reading fairy tales. Stories of everyday people standing up for their beliefs and fending off evil. It gave me hope. It made me believe I could make a difference. Fairy tales are cruel lies. The world doesn't get better. A magical hero won't save the day. There is no happily ever after.

I realised that when my village was destroyed when my parents were slaughtered. When I lost everything, my sister always tried to keep our spirits up however she could.

"Everything will be alright, Iris; the Huntresses will stop the Grimm; just you wait."

And wait, I did. I waited, waited for someone to make a difference; I waited for the world to get better. But nothing changed, no. It got worse. I'm done waiting; I'm done hoping others will save this world. When Ivy's powers flustered, I knew it was a sign. The red strings gave us something else. The strings of Destiny were in our hands if the Huntresses and Huntsman weren't going to save this world.

Then I would instead.

****

"I've come to one realisation, dear brother. I've been letting others do work I'm perfectly capable of. But, since you won't save the world, I guess it falls into line for me to pick up the pieces. So I'll be taking that stage of yours and your life."

"We won't let that happen," Ruby shouted, holding Cresent Rose. Neo also stood next to me, as did Blake and Weiss.

"Oh good, more roadkill. I'll make this quick." Iris giggled, one eye turning silver. "I have become God."

Iris jumped down from the fountain rubbing my nails and taunting me. "Come on then, let's get this over and done with."

Moving my hand forward, darkness began bleeding from it. Catching the shadows, I crushed them in my hand, throwing them at Iris. They all exploded in her face. This didn't do anything, however.

Ruby flew in rose petals shattering everywhere as she slashed through Iris bombarding her attacks. Then, jumping back, she turned her scythe into the sniper mode, firing. 

This didn't do anything. Iris had caught the bullet flicking it away. "Is that it? Seriously?"

Running at Iris, I began throwing and punching, which she kept dodging. Finally, however, to my utmost surprise, she turned away from me, tagging the real me sneaking behind her. The glass illusion shattered as she pinned me down underneath her boot, smugly giggling." You're cute. Like my dog. He also chases his tail for entertainment." 

"Let go of him!" Weiss shouted, summoning her knight familiar to attack. Iris swung her arm back, destroying it instantly, still fixated on me.

Struggling, I decided to retreat, teleporting back and holding my chest, wincing. Blake had my shoulder concerned. "Are you alright?"

"Don't worry about me; get Yang to safety," I whisper, looking at Jaune and the others. "Get out of here."

"We can help."

"No, you really can't," I mutter. Holding my hand forward, a bleeding eye emerged, holding Iris in place. Drawing blood from the look, I crushed my palm as the darkness ripped through her prison, tearing apart anything that moved. Iris' silver eyes glowed through the void as she exploded. The shadows erupted, cutting through Blake and Weiss. Both fell to the ground, defeated but still alive.

Iris strode up to us, still as smug as ever. Neo tried fighting as I attempted to stop her. "No!"

Iris caught Neo strangling her. She looked at the girl throwing her aside. "Not even worth it."

I had to stop Ruby from trapping her in my prison. "No! None of you stands a chance against her. Only I can stop her. Only I can end this madness."

Iris rolled her eyes, smacking her palm. "I forgot the world revolves around you. My apologies. How silly of me."