Chapter 28 - The True Enemy

"Fine, if you signed the pact, you know the robot she used to infiltrate Beacon; where can I find it?"

"Not a robot." Emerald teased, catching me off guard. "You've been looking at this all wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"Depression isn't controlling just any run-of-the-mill machine." Cinders said, amused. "She took control of a secret project helmed by James Ironwood, one disguised as an everyday normal girl. An android with vase power that to rival a Huntsman. And that name is Penny Polendina."

I stumbled back, dazed, and my eyes widened slightly. "What... But that means, oh fuck."

Teleporting away, I pushed through the crowds of people, trying to make it to the main Stage as Pyhrra was about to battle Gretel.

I should have known; I knew something wasn't right with that girl. This overlook could very well spell disaster.

As the two girls entered the arena, Penny looked at me. Our eyes met, and she saw the horror. A wide unnerving smile edged into her face as she whispered to me. "They will be no strings on me."

I lost my patience, pushing through the crowd, throwing people aside and barking. "Out of my way! Out of my way!"

Pushing someone back, I paused, noticing they hadn't moved. My hand had passed right through them. My eyes pivoted before I flinched, seeing the cold dead corpse of Summer Rose standing before me.

Stumbling back, her neck snapped to the side as she opened her mouth, maggots pouring out. No words came but instead, a sharp scream. Closing my eyes, I held my ears, withstanding the attack. Coming to, I looked around, finding everyone gone. The arena was filled with TVs, all static. Each one was stacked on top of the other and more, blocking the exits. Under Gretel's spell, I had to play this easy.

Jumping up to the high ground, I inspected the area, trying to find a part to breach the trap. My scroll, however, went off. Knowing it was a bad idea, I chose against it, but a voice beckoned me to do otherwise.

"Take a look."

Looking at my scroll, I felt sick seeing my reflection, my own reflection, the reflection of Wolfgang. 

"You cannot escape who you are. Why hide it? Drown in your self-pity with me."

Crushing my scroll, I scoffed. "Petty shit like that won't work on me, Gretel. I'm far stronger than the scared little boy you knew before."

"Is. That. So." A voice croaked; it was high-pitched and hazy, as if the person was constantly being strangled. "That. Is. A. Lie."

Falling back over the seats, Summer approached, limping flesh peeling from her face. Reaching from me, I gripped my glaive, swinging at her. The glaive went right through. Like she wasn't there.

Crawling back, I chose to do something against my usual self. I ran. Ran out of the arena and into the corridor behind the Stage. Each of the lights flickered as Summer had already caught up to me. I was not moving and just watching.

Walking back slowly, I noticed the other one was behind. Turning to her, I glanced around, seeing the other Summer had moved. But only when I wasn't looking. Keeping my eyes fixated on Summer, she sprung forward even closer when I blinked. I held my glaive tightly on edge, both corpses closing in on me.

"Y/N." It rippled out. "You killed me. You did this."

"Stop it," I whisper. With each blink, they got closer. "Enough. It wasn't my fault. It wasn't. That wasn't me."

"Killed me. Killed me. Killed me."

The corpse wrapped its arms around me, pressing its face into my ear and whispering. The voice now of Ruby. "Will you kill me too?"