Chapter 7 - True Colours

"They attacked the school Oz, they attacked us, and no one saw it coming!" Qrow snapped viewed from a scroll. "They knew exactly what they were doing!"

"They caught us off guard. We will be ready next time." Ozpin tossed aside, reaching for his coffee cup only for Miss Goodwitch to stop him. 

"Don't you think it's time we take this seriously? Beacon hasn't had a successful infiltration since its creation. We can't just ignore this."

"Are we certain this intruder was after your student? This Y/N L/N." Another voice from the scroll asked, concerned. "If we cannot protect our own people, what right do we have to call ourselves teachers?"

"For once, I agree with old Ironwood here; this has gotten completely out of hand. This won't be the last time these assassins attempt another assault. We were lucky this time. But what about next time?" Qrow said, confronting Ozpin, not allowing him any leeway this time around.

Ironwood crossed his arm, tapping his left worried. "Is what your student claimed true? About there being more out there?"

Ozpin leaned forward, clearing his throat. "I believe it so. We haven't seen anything like the power Y/N holds. We honestly thought him to be near-invincible, yet we have someone who managed to keep up with him and almost overpower Y/N entirely in hand to hand combat. Y/N wouldn't give up much information, whether that was out of spite or his poor memory isn't important. The report you brought us, James confirms it. They go by the Five Stages of Grief."

"I thought that horrid experiment was nothing more than a failed attempt at playing God." Ironwood explained, gritting his teeth. "But it appears the De Barron family actually pulled it off. Beings able to rival the four maidens. If what the reports suggest are true, just one is worth 100 of you Qrow."

"How flattening." He replied, sighing. "So the one who attacked, did Y/N give us a clue in which one it was?"

"He claims it may be Bargaining, the third stage of Grief. At least, a copy of him."

"A copy?" Ironwood questions.

"Y/N has reasons to believe that was nothing more than a warning shot and that the real Bargaining wouldn't be so easy to defeat."

"So they were testing him? Do we even know who the attacker was?"

"No." Miss Goodwitch mutters. "All we know is the attacker wore a Grimm Mask."

"The White Fang I should have known."

"The problem is these stages of Grief could be anyone. Y/N managed to go notice until he slipped up. Just where could the others be hiding? In our governments? Our armies. How do you know Qrow if anyone in your school is one of them? They could be completely surrounding us, and all of this started with Y/N." Ironwood pointed out. 

"What are you suggesting? Ditching the kid in order to save our skin, James?" Qrow taunted.

Ozpin sipped his drink, shaking his head. "Whether we like it nor not, Y/N is our only line of defence against these new threats. If our enemies hold even just one of them, it could all be over. It should be in our best interest to keep Y/N on our side. If we were to lose him, we might as well give in now."

"So we're putting our students at risk to keep a weapon in case more attack? That doesn't sound very like you, Oz." Qrow commented. "I can't exactly say you're wrong, though."

"I must go; with this worrying information coming to light, I must now check with my own forces that there isn't a traitor among us. Then, once all is cleared up, I shall pay a visit to discuss this further together."

Ozpin ended the communication closing his scroll, looking weary. "How is he?"

"Handling it rather well, you should push him more, however. He will follow your orders."