Chapter 10 - Shadows in the Dark

I lie in the bath, re-thinking my life choices. That was putting it lightly. We were back to square one, a full loop.

Stopping my hand shaking, I looked to the door, hearing whispers. I was in a constant rewind of what happened that night.

I lost control.

I can't remember the last time I lost control. New and old memories clashed as I whimpered to myself. "I can't do this."

"You're not the one who decides that."

Falling from the bath, I stood up, looking around. "Who said that?" Then, staring at myself in the mirror, I scoff. "I'm going crazy."

As I kept watching, I stepped back, finding my reflection in a world of its own, constantly shaking its head. "Maybe we already were Denial."

Serval hands of pure darkness reached out from the mirror, grabbing me and pulling me close. "Drown into the deep."

Stumbling back, I fell back, the door swinging wide open as I crawled back, staring at the bathroom, covering my mouth, horrified. I jumped as a hand rested on my shoulder. Jumping up, I pinned myself against the wall seeing Blake sitting on her bed, weary. "Are you alright?"

"I... I- I."

"You, you?"

"Was startled by my own reflection..." I whispered, looking around. "Where is everyone else?"

"After the scare, you gave them two days ago, they stayed with the others next door."

"But not you?"

"I'm not afraid of you," Blake admits putting her book down. "Just cautious."

"I don't blame them in the slightest; if I can't even remember what happened, I dread to think how they felt." I nod, glancing at the bathroom, still spooked. "You knew this whole time who I was, Blake Belladonna... Yet you never spoke up or ran while you had the chance. Why?"

Blake glanced away, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't know. It took me by surprise the moment I saw you opening that door. At first, I thought you were here to kill me, finish me off orders from Adam but then I saw it. You looked right through me like I was nobody. I came to this school hoping for a second chance; why shouldn't you have that same opportunity?"

Deflated, I sighed, closing the bathroom door shut. "After everything that happened, I somehow doubt that possibility. Teammates are meant to trust each other, have each other's backs. I think I missed the memo on that one."

"What are you going to do now, then?"

"I don't know. I don't know; I originally planned on keeping my head down, mopping floors and cleaning windows. I wanted nothing to do with the Deep. But now I used it, tapped into a forbidden curse. There's no escaping it. One thing is for certain, Bargaining won't be the first."

Blake stood up, holding her hand out. "Umm, what are you doing?"

"Just shake on it." Then, holding my hand out, she gripped mine tight with both hands just holding it. "If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have had to push yourself to save us... I'm sorry, Y/N, I truly am."

Taking my hand back, I shook my head. "There's nothing to apologise for; you had every right to take the actions you did. But, being looked down on for who we are, I get that. I may not be a Faunus, but I'm not exactly human either."

"What are you saying?"

Falling on Blake's bed, I held my hand out, staring blankly. "Putting on that mask triggered the memories and orders I received from The White Fang and Adam. I still can't remember anything before that, it's like I got a puzzle, but I'm missing most of the pieces. If I find other relics from my past, who knows what else I could remember... There was one memory in particular that stood out."