Chapter 16 - Dancing All Night

The school gym was packed with students high off the music, dancing away. I stood idly by my eye twitch, holding serval records by my side. "What the hell is this?"

"Umm, a disco?" Yang muttered, confused. "Why is he in his pyjamas? Ruby, did you even tell him what was going on?"

Ruby laughed nervously, tripping up her dress. "Well, I couldn't think of anything to convince Y/N at the moment, so I just said we're having a slumber disco party?"

"You idiot." Weiss sighed. "Wait, you did say Disco? Why did you bring your own music, Y/N?"

Holding up some old records, I gave a blank stare. "I thought we were having a throwing competition, who can throw a disc-shaped object the furthest. It's in the name disc go."

"You're a lost cause," Weiss grumbled, rubbing her face and walking off.

"I'm going home," I whisper in defeat.

"Oh no, you don't." Ruby snapped, pulling me back. "All you're going to do is run off on your little side project. Why don't you take one night off and enjoy yourself?"

Looking at all the people, I rubbed the back of my neck, laughing. "Or how about we don't? Come on; it's not too late; I have a whole bunch of snacks and the newest release of Blameworthy Cog. You know you want to."

Ruby almost fell into my trap, coming to her senses at the last moment. "No! You will get your butt on that dance floor, and dance like your life depends on it!"

Defeated, I dragged my feet over to the fruit punch, mumbling to myself. "Stupid disco, stupid music, all this is just stupid."

"Oh, hey, Y/N," Jaune shouted, looking just as nervous but for clearly different reasons. "You're suit is well... Different?"

"It's my PJs, Jaune; you don't have to sugarcoat it."

"And why are you wearing your Pyjamas for?"

"You can thank the great Ruby Rose for that. Even if I knew I don't have any suits, you know, because I'm a janitor."

"I was going to say, what janitor owns a suit?" Jaune nodded, sipping on his drink, staring blankly forward. "Nice weather we're having today, right?"

"Umm yeah?" I whisper.

"Listen, dude, I need your help. I want to ask Weiss to dance, but I'm just too damn nervous; you're a part of her team. What is she like? Give me the scoop!"

"Whoa, easy there, cowboy. I'd hardly say I'm a part of team RWBY. Yes, we share the same dorm, the same classes, we somewhat train together, and soon we will take missions together, but I'm not an official part of that team. Nor am I looking to be a Huntsman; I was just caught in a bad set of circumstances and fate. Once all this blows over, I'm back to scrubbing toilets and making the magic happen."

"Magic?"

"Emptying your bins, someone has to do it."

"True, true... Listen, I know we don't know each other very well, but I've seen what you can do; I've heard more. Is a janitor really something best suited for yourself?"

"It's not much, but it's a simple life," I say proudly. "I couldn't ask for anything more."

Jaune didn't look too convinced by this, sipping his drink again. "You never wanted to be a huntsman? Fight the forces of evil and save the world. You can't tell me you never once thought about it?!"

I gave it a moment before shrugging my shoulders and smiling. "Nope, never have and never will. Why would I care about fighting the forces of evil? There are enough suicidal maniacs in here to do that instead. Man, this punch is good, another!"