19- Can't Even Survive the PSAT's

Stiles, Scott, Kira, Malia, and Nori stand in line waiting to be allowed into the classroom. Along with the rest of their year. They had to take their PSATs.

"Where's Lydia?" Kira asked, looking at all the students.

"She took it her freshman year," Stiles answered.

"Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asked in disbelief.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott encouraged her.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." Malia argued.

"Well." Stiles corrected.

"Well, what?" Malia asked.

"Stiles no." Nori warned.

"It's do well, not good." Stiles continued.

Nori glared at him, pinching his arm making him dramatically pull it away. "Why!" He yelped.

Malia's eyes went wide. "Oh god!"

"That's why." Nori said, motioning towards a stressed-out Malia.

"You're doing this because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott spoke.

"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira said, trying to be optimistic.

"A lot can happen in three hours." Nori mumbled.

*

As the line of students was finally accepted into the classroom, an odd-looking, creepy teacher named Simon stood behind the desk watching everyone and handing out the test book. As well, Ms.Martin stood there collecting phones.

Nori walked up and hesitantly did her thumbprint stamp, grabbing some extra pencils. "Cell phone in the envelope, Nori. You'll get it back after the test." Mrs.Martin smiled, holding out a bag for her phone. Nori nodded and obliged, pulling her phone out.

Nori sat down behind Scott, and Kira sat to the left of Scott. Malia sat to the right of Nori, and Stiles sat behind Malia.

Nori's leg bounced up and down, spinning the pencil around her fingers. Waiting for the test to start already, and get this done with.

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so." Simon spoke. "This test is two hours and ten minutes. There will be two 25-minute critical reading sections, two 25-minute math sections, and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes. There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam."

"I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again." Ms. Martin spoke. Leaving the class. She walked to Coach's office and finds him slumped. He fell asleep with his head on his desk.

"Oh, no. Hey, get up." She whispered while attempting to shake him awake. In response, Coach groaned and kept his eyes closed. Ms.Martin lifts Coach's head to look at him. "Oh, Bobby. 15 years sober and you fall off the wagon at school? Coach, look at me. It's Natalie."

Coach opened his eyes for a second then closed his eyes again. Ms.Marting mumbled, "Forget it." Gently laying his head back down on the desk. "I'll bring you some coffee during one of our breaks." She assured him. "15 years, Bobby."

She walked back into the classroom where the students sat silent. "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers. Do you want me to try him?" She asked.

"We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break." He denied. He grabbed his stopwatch and set the timer. "You may now open your test booklets and begin." He told the class.