Chapter  Twelve

Third Person POV

Y/N knocked on a door of a apartment he had been to on many occasions and waited wearing in his Public Safety uniform. After a moment Makima answered the door wearing a smile and pajamas.

Makima: "You're here early."

Y/N: "You told me to remember?"

Makima: "Come in. Make yourself at him while I get dressed."

The American entered her high class apartment and was immediately bombarded by the attention of eight huskies that where ecstatic to see him again. They jumped up as Y/N bent down and assaulted the devil with licks and sniffing any new smells on him.

Y/N: "(laughing) yes I missed you guys too."

He pet the dogs as Makima entered the room in her uniform distracting the dogs long enough for Y/N to stand up and wipe his face.

Makima: "You want some coffee?"

Y/N: "Sure.

He sat down at the counter as the dogs seemingly spit up to focus on both of the people in the apartment for food or attention.

Makima: "Y/N?"

Y/N: "Yea?"

Makima: "Would you consider us friends?"

The man mulled over the question for a moment and decided to answer honestly.

Y/N: "There are things I find sketchy about you and we have had some trust issues lately."

He points at his eyes as he uses his other hand to give the dog known as Brownie head pats.

Y/N: "But in the end you where the person who took a gamble on me and helped me adjust to my new life here. I think after all the missions and bullshit we've been through together I'd say we are closer to siblings."

The words caught the redhead's attention as she poured two cups of coffee.

Y/N: "We may not always see eye to eye but at the end of the day we have each other's backs right."

Makima was quiet for a moment as Y/N drank his coffee. She leaned on the counter, looking into the mug as if it would tell her what to say. The yellow eyed girl sighed and spoke.

Makima: "Trust has been a topic of discussion for us for quite a while hasn't it? You have been patient with my lack of transparency even if you had no reason to be so I'll tell you something I have never told another living soul."

This catches Y/N's attention as he gives his boss his undivided attention.

Makima: "I never had parents or any family for that matter. Everyone who raised me was a complete stranger."

Y/N: "Like foster care?""

Makima: "Something like that. I've always had trouble getting along with other kids and making any meaningful connections with other people. I had siblings but I wouldn't call us close."

Y/N: "Sounds lonely. I'm guessing everyone pining over you gets pretty hollow after awhile."

Makima: "It does."

The Lieutenant had never seen his boss who was so often the image of stoicism and intelligence seem so vulnerable.

Y/N: "So that's why you like it that I don't treat you like everyone else treats you, I'm one of the few people actively not kissing your ass or trying to win any favor."

Makima: "That's a crude way of saying it but yes. Your the closest thing to an equal that I can call friend and I believe it was time it trusted you more."