Chapter Eleven

Aki's POV

The Future Devil wanting only to witness my demise himself was a red flag in itself but it gave me the power I would need to fight the people that killed Himeno and the Gun Devil. What concerned me was not the idea of dying horribly, that was hardly a surprise to hear, but how the Future Devil was also interested in watching Y/N as well.

While the devil said my death will 'fucking rule' he also mentioned that the Armor Devil was 'holding himself back' and didn't even know it until it was too late.  Y/N was a powerhouse even before becoming a devil but I did find it odd he was more like a fiend or a hybrid then a true devil. He retained a human appearance most of the time but apparently the rest of him was subconsciously suppressed. I decided that was information I would keep from Y/N as not to accidentally cause a disaster of any kind. The last thing I would ever want is to have to hunt him like any other devil.

A piece of me still wanted to ask more but something in my gut tells me that I would not like the answer. I wanted to tell Y/N that he was apparently one bad day from becoming a major threat to anything in his way but he would of denied it and tried to delay the inevitable any way he could.

Y/N: "You okay?"

I looked up to see the man in question wearing his devil hunter uniform with a long black coat similar to what Makima and Kishibe wore to denote their rank within Public Safety. Y/N had a cup of coffee in each hand and gave one to me before sitting down.

Y/N: "Your brooding more then usual, tell me what's up."

Aki: "It's nothing."

Y/N: "Power can tell a better lie then that, talk."

Aki: "I made a contact with a devil."

Y/N: "Yea the Future Devil. I hear you have to pay a pretty steep price to get his help."

Aki: "That's the problem, he looked into my future and said all he wanted to do was watch my life until I die."

Y/N: "That's a big fucking red flag if I've ever heard one. Anything else he said?"

Aki: "That I'd die in the worst possible way."

Y/N: "That's really vague."

Aki: "Is it?"

He sipped his coffee before speaking. I rarely saw him look so... conflicted.

Y/N: "As much as I hate to admit it, I knew you where a dead man walking when you refused to go private with Himeno. I like you, even if you can be a buzzkill once in a while, but I'm not living in some fantasy where you live a long happy life."

Aki: "Then all you need to worry about is what I do with the time I have left."

Y/N: "What do you think I'm doing? Dammit Aki do you think accepting the fact you're fucked was easy for me? Hell I'm a ring leader to a whole circus of future corpses and even if their devils I know their deaths are going to weigh on me."

Aki: "Your the best choice for Lieutenant of Special Division Four. Despite you being a hotheaded man child some days, you're also one of the best devil hunters I've ever met. You care about those in your care and I know you'll make every life count, even my own. I trust you to make that call and that's not something I say lightly."

It seemed my words had some effect on Y/N as he just silently looked at the ground for a moment and let what I said sink in. I meant everything I said of course. He was a great devil hunter but he was also one of my closest friends, my only friend when I think about it.

Y/N: "Thanks for the pep talk Aki, We all may be screwed but I promise we'll go out strong with a middle finger to death and fate."

Aki: "I don't doubt that for a second, good luck on your date tonight."