The Hardest Decision

After Thranduil had left, Marion slowly approached Legolas. She stopped a couple of feet from him and bent down on her knees. With a friendly smile, The kind elf opened her arms to the tearful elfling.

"Prince Legolas, why don't you come over here?" She spoke slowly and carefully, "I can tell you an intriguing story if you would like."

Slowly but surely, the little prince crawled over cautiously to Marion. He sat back on his knees when he was closer and asked, "What kinda stories do you know?" He curiously crept closer until he was sitting in her lap.

"Well...let me think. I know several stories about your father...some that are very cool." She added with a grin.

"Maybe could you tell me one of the cool ones?" Legolas sheepishly smiled back.

"But are you sure that you don't want to hear a boring story instead?" Marion teased.

"Oh no! Could I please listen to a cool one instead?" Legolas begged.

"Oh all right." The lady smiled. "A long time ago, before you were born, my adar worked for your adar. He was the general and almost second in command to the king. One day, all the elves prepared for a battle. They met the enemy quickly, which were many orcs, and fought to defeat them. But, during the battle a terrible tragedy almost occurred..."

"What? What happened?" Asked Legolas, mesmerized.

"Well, my father, Dineal, became cornered by many orcs! He was about to be defeated...when suddenly King Thranduil jumped into the fight and helped him! Together they fought off the orcs and eventually the elves won!"

"Ada actually saved your Ada? Legolas asked, dumbfounded.

"Yes. He is a true hero." Marion smiled.

"That is so cool, but I thought Ada was kinda mean. He yelled at that poor elf! It scared me so much." The prince looked down at his hands, ashamed.

"Prince Legolas, the king is a wonderful ruler, but we all have trying times in our lives. You must help him to be better. Okay?" Marion gently smoothed some hair behind Legolas' small, pointed ears. She tried to focus Legolas on different matters rather than the upcoming battle to keep him calm.

"Okay, I guess you are probably right. Daddy is usually nice to me." Abruptly, Legolas changed topics, "Miss Marion, would you tell me another story?"

"I'm sorry, my prince, but it is your bedtime. I need to tuck you in."

"Aww man! I don't want to go to bed! I want to stay up with you! Please?" Legolas begged.

Marion laughed, "No, I'm afraid you must get some rest. It has been a long day and I am also weary." Legolas finally nodded his head and followed Marion out of the throne room.

They silently headed through the long halls. Only several elves passed them, and those that did hurried along. The battle had brought fear into everyone's hearts. There were no leisurely chats or socializing when many of their friends or family were gone fighting. Legolas did not quite understand what war and death did to people but he still felt fearful with his ada was gone.

When they arrived at Legolas' chamber, Marion gently pushed him in. "Get your sleepwear on, Prince Legolas, and then I'll tuck you in."

"Yes, Miss Marion." the elfling obediently answered. He hurried into the connecting bathroom to obey. While Legolas got ready for bed, Marion sat down on his bed to wait.

Crash! Startled by a loud noise, Marion jumped off the bed and hurried to the bathroom door. "Legolas? Are you all right? What happened?"

She heard a soft moan answer, "Ow...I...I think I'm okay."