day 24

~ never loved you ~

~ never loved you ~

prompt: near death experience
character: newt (maze runner)
warnings: disease

     You sit within the berg, your arms wrapped around your knees. Your head rests on your knees, attempting to hide any tears threatening to fall. "y/n, let's go, we're getting Newt back," Thomas' all too familiar voice bounces around the walls. As they make their way into your ears, you already feel worried. Newt's stubborn, if he left, part of you feels as though he won't be coming back. "Okay.. let's try," you look up, a certain puffiness around your eyes not going unnoticed by your immune friends.

    As the five of you reach the crank palace doors, you see a couple of guards. "We're here with WICKED, we need to find a friend of ours," Jorge laments, despite his dislike of the situation, you feel gratitude for the fact that he's willing to join. "Okay? If you want help finding your friend, you'll have to pay up," the guard smiles, clearly excited for a pay raise. Jorge reluctantly agrees, stating that he'll get the pay after you find Newt. In exchange, the guard starts leading you in the direction of where most of the Cranks gather.

    "Now, we can't promise that your friend is willing to see you, in fact most of the Cranks here would just want to eat your eyes," one of the guards mentions, looking at the group. You attempt to ignore the statement, hoping that both your initial gut feeling and his words wouldn't coincide with Newt. Maybe Newt's fine, just slightly impacted. Maybe he's sitting there, waiting for you to come back for him. Maybe you'd see the glint in his eye again, the same mischievous look he always gave.

    Thomas rests his hand on your shoulder momentarily, a way to get your attention. "We're goin to get him out of here," he attempts to be comforting as you stare at the bowling alley. However, all it felt like was false hope. You looked back at him, your eyes still somewhat glossy, "Thomas, please, let's just go in, I can't stop waiting," your hands are somewhat shaking, your whole body vibrating in nervousness. He nods and walks through the gaping whole in the wall, the door being long gone. You instantly see his same sandy blond hair, the small amount of light giving it away.

    Instantly, he looks in your direction. The two of you look at each other, an instant connection maybe reignited. "Newt..." you sigh, your breathing quickening at the sight of him. "Newt, let's go, come on. We have to get out of here," Minho attempts to say his piece, trying to get through to one of his closest friends. Newt shakes his head, looking at the Cranks around the room. His whole body is frigid, timid in some ways. You attempt to give a small wave, hoping your presence would help with talking him into coming.

    "Newt! You have to come with us, we'll find a cure, we'll find something," you plead, your hands clasped together as you stand in front of him. He shakes his head, the launcher in his hands shaking with him. As Newt looks at you, his lips quiver, as if he's afraid to say anything. "I can't! Now go before I shoot this thing and it hits you," his voice is laced with every hurtful emotion imaginable. Tears gather in your eyes, not quite knowing what to say. "I hate you y/n! Don't you understand, I hate you and I never loved you!" He screams, his face uncomfortably close to yours.

    Maybe in some wild fantasy, this closeness would be followed by a kiss, a tender moment. However, as you stand amongst a broken down bowling alley, it's clear that you would never receive that dream. "No you don't. Don't say that Newt, don't say that. Not when I know you, and I know that you would never say that!" You yell back. The Flare doesn't build up in you, but maybe even being in the same building as Cranks starts to change a person. "You don't know me at all! In fact, if you knew me, you'd leave. You wouldn't watch me rot away, now would you?"

    You shake your head, looking away from him for a second. When you turn your head back to him, his launcher is pointed right towards your face. The end a mere inch from your nose. "Get out! I never want to see your shuck face again," it was in this moment that you felt as though all of your searching, wondering, dreaming, had ended. Thomas grabs you by the arm, pulling you with the group as Newt keeps the gun pointed in your direction. Even the small glint in his eye is gone, he's devoid of anything. He's gone.

- i started rereading the maze runner series and the death cure is killing me, so here's this