Chapter 56-King Louis IV

CHAPTER 56

     King Louis IV, ruler of the Land of Aldin, sits upon his majestic throne of polished walnut wood and silken cushions.  His Majesty is unmistakable with ornate scepter in hand and jeweled crown upon his head.

     Queen Eleanor, in her respective throne by Louis's side, is an image of regality in her splendid gown.  Her tiara of white gold and a unique combination of diamonds and blue sapphires, sparkle in the lighting of the royal chamber.

     Originally from Finden, Queen Eleanor was born princess of Rayjlandic, daughter to then rulers Elizabeth and Henry the IX.  She was betrothed to Louis IV upon her birth.  Their marriage was to be a political tie between the former rival nations and aspirations to the prosperity that could be realized by joining forces instead of squabbling over conquests.

     Indeed, in the times of King Louis IV and Queen Eleanor, the Land of Aldin had prospered.  Their benevolent rule over the country had ushered in a new era of innovation of the sciences, arts, fashion, and international investments that had improved the quality of life for the people.

     Castle Aldin, in the center of the City of Aldin, is a beautiful combination of architectural marvel bringing the elements of military might and grandeur together in an elegant and aesthetically pleasing structure that rivals all others in the land.  Its shining beauty is an inspiration to all its citizens – a symbol of the unique pride and sense of nationalism common to the people of Aldin.

     A royal subject approaches the steps preceding the King and Queen.  He looks very worried and nervous and walks quickly to the first step and as is formality, bows to his rulers out of respect.

     "Your majesty, your Highness," he says, nodding once to the King and then again to the Queen.

     "Ah!  Gastón!  You look troubled.  What is wrong?"  King Louis greets his subject.

     "Your Majesty, our city is under attack!  There are reports of people biting and..."  Gastón gulps audibly and nervously glances toward the queen, "eating other people!  Our gas lamp system has turned into an inferno that is consuming the city!  Our fire brigades and city workers are falling victim to these attacks before they can put out the fires and close the gas lines!"

     "Good Pyronius of the heavens!" exclaims Queen Eleanor.

     The King looks shocked as well, but his voice maintains the calm, level-headedness required of a sound ruler as he commands.  "Send a contingent of cavalry to suppress the terrorists responsible.  Also, I want a derigible with archers and flintlock snipers to scout ahead of the calvary.  Have the Dragon Enforcers already intervened and sent word to Talon Claw and Highland Den?"

     Gastón looks somewhat relieved at the King's coolness under pressure.  "Yes, you're Majesty," he responds.  "Our Dragonriders of Aldin are responding as we speak.  But there is another problem."

     "Out with it, man!"  Louis says irritably.  He does not appreciate information being held back.

     "Your Majesty, the reports also indicate that those that have survived the encounters with the attackers are becoming violently ill," Gastón gulps with extreme despair.

     The King stares right through Gastón upon receiving this last bit of intelligence.  His mind races through the possibilities.  All rulers are raised from childhood with royal tutors to educate them in multiple subjects.  The history of their own land is, of course, of paramount importance.  Louis recalls learning of an ailment that had swept the city in the past.  The contagion passed between the inhabitants like wildfire.

     His gaze rises to the chandelier ceiling in thought.  Then, the possibility of the unthinkable dawns on him.

     "The Plague..." he whispers.