Chapter 4-Highland Den

Chapter 4

     Far across the world, in the lands of the Dragonmen, the mountains protrude dramatically from the Northern Sea.  The soils are rocky, the terrain rugged and the bitter cold only relents for the short summer.  The hardy, coniferous trees, well adapted to the unforgiving climate, force their existence through the cracks in the decomposing granite slopes.  Their advance into the majestic rising ridge of Boldever Mountain is suddenly thwarted by the sheer cliffs of Highland Den, home to the Dragonmen North.

     A large, Burgundy dragon glides through the pristine scenery.  Its massive body is dwarfed by the vast expanse of vertical rock.  What at first appears to be just another shadow among the cliffs in the setting sun is now revealed to be an opening.  The dragon is enveloped in the deep crevasse.  There is a moment of complete darkness once it starts to pass into the cliff.  The absence of light is soon replaced by the flickering yellowish orange cast of torches lining the walls.  There is now a smooth floor visible not far below the slowing dragon and rider.  As they touch down, the dragon folds its wings behind its back.  The powerful legs quickly absorb the forward momentum in a short, controlled gallop that ends with the dragon lowering itself down onto its haunches to allow the rider to dismount.

     Valkyr rises from the saddle and drops to the ground landing steadily on his feet.  He is a giant of a man with a barrel chest and long sturdy legs.  He pats his paw of a hand affectionately against the hide of his much larger counterpart.

     "Good Bjorgon," he speaks reassuringly.  "That was a long scout today.  I know you are as hungry as I."  Now he is rubbing the ridges behind the dragon's ears.  Then he adds, "Why don't you go to the livestock paddock and rustle yourself up some dinner?"  Valkyr's bearded face regards Bjorgon, his smile warm and full of affection.

     Skyhalla awaits me.  She is ready.

     The dragon regards his rider with his glowing, emerald eyes.  Valkyr hoots and claps Bjorgon on his muscular neck.  "Go my friend!  Do not keep a lady waiting," he roars.  "Our numbers are too few for you to pass up an opportunity."   Valkyr starts to unstrap the riding saddle under the dragon's lifted neck.  Once the leather apparatus is unburdened from Bjorgon's back, Valkyr slaps it down heavily on a bench.  He looks on as Bjorgon turns towards the corridor that leads to the dragon's lair.

     Now that Bjorgon is gone, Valkyr puts his hands on his hips, grins and shakes his head.  He then starts toward the steps to the great hall.  The meeting of the council will have to wait.  Skyhalla is the only queen dragon at Highland Den.  Though there are many females besides her, only one can be queen and therefore only she can lay fertile eggs.  This also means that Skyhalla's rider, Lyra, would be waiting for Valkyr.  He quickens his steps, a twinkle in his eye to all those he passes on his way.