Chapter 47-The City of Aldin

CHAPTER 47

     The city of Aldin practically lights up the evening sky with its many gas lamp lined streets and bridges.  The urban landscape itself straddles the Aldin River – spanning the delta and wetlands with its unique combination of modern and ancient viaducts.

     Where the city meets the bay, an impressive port adorns the coastline.  A myriad of vessels of all shapes and sizes are docked along the many piers.  Formidable looking military ships are stationed at the naval base that guards the inlet to Aldin Bay.

     The burgeoning warehouses of the Port District gradually give way to multi-storied buildings.  Their windows and towers are well lit from within and add to the splendor of the skyline.

     Carriages and pedestrians traverse boulevards that are laid out in both a grid and radio-concentric pattern.  The largest roads are spokes, converging on the center of the city.  They terminate at a grand circular park.  A boardwalk delineates the circumference of this public feature.  Local vendors and artisans display their wares and crafts in kiosks and carts.

     Beyond the boardwalk lies an immense grassy field, meticulously groomed and green.  Parents watch their children play at various activities as higher positioned lamps provide the lighting for their nocturnal activities.

     An ornate wrought iron fence announces the terminus of the inner boundaries of the field.  Beyond its confines is a beautifully designed moat.  Fountains spew forth from just below the surface, creating an aquatic ballet to dazzle spectators hanging along the fence.  Geese, ducks, and swan paddle about seeking crumbs from the gathered crowds.

     The moat is equally as wide as the grassy park preceding it.  The inner shore rises sharply on mossy banks that end abruptly as a brick and mortar wall thrusts up from depths unknown.  The inner wall rises better than thirty feet above the already elevated embankment.  Ramparts placed at regular intervals ascend almost this distance again.  A constant parade of guards patrol the path along the top of the wall and archers are stationed in each tower.

     Within the protected fortress an enormous castle ascends to the top of the city skyline.  Spires and flying buttresses abound this architectural marvel.  The edifice creates a topography at the central axis of the urbane environment – a huge anthropogenic hill of stone.  At the very pinnacle of the highest tower rises a long mast with the world's largest flag flying proudly at such great heights.  The thick blue, white and red stripes flap in the night sky, lit from powerful sources angled from the base of the pole.  The colors of the Land of Aldin declare its might and the realization of the dreams of all its citizens.

     "Wow!" exclaims Nick as they approach the sprawling metropolis.  "I forgot how big this place is."

     I don't know how well we would be received if we deliver Finnigan to the castle directly. 

     "Good point," replies Nick.

     Pop is clicking and buzzing about something while pointing to another feature outside the city's central castle.

     Nick follows the trajectory of Pop's finger and sees a well-lit cobble stoned street winding up the contours of a small, rocky outcropping at the top of a hill.  There is no edifice adorning this summit, but Nick catches a glimpse of a dragon being swallowed by a dark hole in the side of the rock.  A large, red banner billows in the breeze at the side of this entrance.  A golden dragon is emblazoned upon the middle of the scarlet flag.

     "The local magistrate," Nick recognizes.

     Though dragonkind claims home to Highland Den, where their queen resides and Talonclaw in the Dragon Isles is their elite military division, every major city in the island continents of Finden and Aldin contain a local outpost of a few dragons and riders since the vampires had so sneakily overthrown Castle Rayjlandic centuries ago during the Finden – Aldin wars.