Chapter 44-Mortimus

CHAPTER 44

     With the arrival of the new night, Nakira lifts the trap door and stretches her arms wide and yawns as she emerges from the cellar.

     The rolled rug is right where she had left it, complete with its motionless captives.  She looks about the rest of the living room in disarray and then notices the stormy night sky through the window.  No rain has fallen yet, but occasional lightning buds flare over the seas.

     There will be no Leo Constellation to guide her tonight.

     She exits the cottage and follows a worn path around back.  A stable is situated only a short distance behind the home.

     As she approaches the crude, wooden structure, she hears whinnies and neighs within.  The horses have sensed her presence and are vocalizing their apprehension.

     Nakira walks up to the gate of a fine, black stallion.  His eyes go wide at the sight of her and he jerks about his confined area, screeching with fear.

      "Shhhhh," soothes Nakira as she forces eye contact with the beast.

     Transfixed by her powers, the stallion stifles its protests and steadies its feet.  Its eyes, however, still show fear.

     "That's better," continues Nakira in hypnotic tones.  "Such a pretty boy..."  She unlatches the gate and slips next to the magnificent horse.

     Still mesmerized by the vampiress, but fearful for its life, the black stallion manages to take a step back.

     Without breaking the trance inducing eye contact, Nakira gently smoothes a gentle hand along the horse's muzzle.

     "Don't be afraid," her voice almost sings.  "I have a gift for you..."

     Her other hand strokes the mane and Nakira's face presses against the shiny, black neck.  The horse's pulse is thundering.  She breathes in the animal's blood scent.

     Nakira continues to speak to the stallion in her hypnotic voice – inching her protruding fangs closer to the equine flesh.  A shudder passes through the beast as her teeth slowly pierce the tissue.

     Within minutes the transformation is well under way.

     The creature's flesh ripples with newfound sinews.  Its eyes take on a sharper, more angular shape.  The teeth become jagged shards.  A piercing screech escapes its throat.

     The horses in the adjoining stalls are kicking at the walls behind them and ramming the gates in front.  They emit their equine screams as they realize the monster their neighbor has become.

     But they cannot escape.

     The vampiric black stallion busts through to the next stall.  He pummels the frightened horse with sharp and powerful hooves.  He shreds the lesser equine's neck with his new vampiric fangs.  The dying beast shrivels as its lifeblood is lost.

     Beaming at her new creation, Nakira declares, "Yes!  I always wanted my very own pony!  I will call you...Mortimus!"

     She applauds gleefully and lightning and thunder announce his arrival, as well – the two illuminated briefly in the flash.

     Nakira mounts Mortimus and as they charge across the boundless landscape, the skies lament – the clouds releasing their sorrowful deluge.