Chapter 27

I stood frantically in front of the mirror. The black shirt fell perfectly on my shoulders and my glasses seemed very unnecessary for my outfit. How day my started still bothered me, the earlier incidents still cracked my heart and ripped it apart. I wanted to be positive about a lot of things including the party I was forcefully supposed to host, but I still couldn't shake the feeling of being so afraid. Things were getting slowly dangerous around my life, from the altercation with James to the anonymous bullet at my doorstep, to my classmates being part of a gang that threatens to end my life. I couldn't even rely on my so-called father for protection, knowing how obnoxious he is, a lot of thoughts roamed my mind.

The horn of a car honked loudly outside. I peeped out the window to see who it was, and to my surprise it was Rashin. I walked downstairs in my black outfit and went behind the kitchen counter, I poured milk in a bowl full of cereal, then alas, a knock. I knew who it was, but I was reluctant with opening the kitchen door. After a while of debate in my head, I opened the door.

"We usually use the front, sliding door for visitors," I gestured him inside, trying to keep my fear hidden.

"Well, it is a great pity I am not a visitor," he went in. "Make sure you announce during the event you're hosting a party," Rashin grinned and finally broke the silence.

"What's so important about it?" I finally managed to ask after another round of silence.

" We'll be selling narcotics during the party and since you live alone your place is the most suitable for us to get money."

" You know dealing is illegal right? "

" Ohh really, " he faked a surprise expression. My hands were sweating already and hid them trying to hide my panic and fear. " Listen, if you're going to be in my crew, you gotta ditch your 'nerdy innocent side' and turn out bad."

"Who talked about me joining you guys," I countered. "It is already quite a number of people to make a band."

"Well, you are right," he smiled. "Only, it is your house where the drugs are going to be found in if the cops come knocking at your door. Seems to me you're a part of this as everyone else. Well, you better hurry up, so we have to go."

I couldn't answer him. All I managed to do was to sit there and let overthinking take charge. I couldn't hide how afraid I was.

...

"We're here!" He screamed joyfully, "Now get your get your ass out of my leather seats and go on make a fool out of yourself as usual." I opened the door, and he cleared his throat. I turned. "Remember, no Macarena, no Selena and most importantly no Amanda." I stared at him then quickly went out the door towards the occupied side of the lake. Everyone had dressed for the day, then had partners by their sides and I just stood there alone, feeling out of place as usual.

"Hey," a squeaky voice caressed my left ear. When I turned my eyes, her small eyes reflected the sun. She stood perfectly in her heels and black dress, Chloe looked really good. Her black hair was tied into a bun and had no make up on, she looked like a person who is about to present a business presentation, but only business about my heart.

"Hey, Chloe, right?" I asked.

"I honestly thought you forgot," she blushed.

"No, how could I?" I blushed back. "Are you with someone?"

"No," she replied. I shifted awkwardly from where I was standing.

"Can...can...can I be..." I stuttured and she interrupted. "Where's Amanda?" I sighed.

"I'll explain everything if you agree to be my date?" She smiled and butterflies stirred up. Don't get attached, she may hurt you too. My subconscious smirked and I pushed him back.