32. Autumn Leaves

Start from the beginning

It's almost like we jumped over the wall and disappeared into a forest.

"Y/N—" I begin to voice my concern but she silences me.

"We're almost there, calm down," she says from a bit farther up. I slow my pace and walk slightly behind her, glancing between the trees, and looking for anything suspicious.

At this point, my hand is deep inside my jacket, gripping the gun handle. I'm mostly expecting a bunch of her mafia members to jump out and attack me.

"You sure you're not trying to kidnap me?" I ask, now that joke seems much more realistic.

Y/N stops walking and turns around. I take a few hesitant steps back as she starts to walk toward me.

My breathing quickens and I can feel my heart racing in my chest.

Taking long strides, she quickly reaches me and reaches out to grab my left hand. My pulse jumps in response to the sudden contact and my right-hand squeezes the gun slightly.

I try to pull my hand away but her grip tightens, fingers curling around mine.

I turn my gaze away from our interlocked hands and find her eyes staring into mine.

"Trust me."

I open my mouth to speak but no sound comes out. I close it and slowly nod.

Y/N smiles and gives my hand a gentle squeeze before letting go. She turns on her heel and continues walking.

My hand feels like fire after her touch and I glance around once more before slowly following her.

We continue the walk through the forest for a bit longer before we reach a large pile of several rocks.

Y/N stands below, studying it.

"What?" I ask finally.

Her fingers reach out to brush against the stones.

"We climb."

"Again?" I scoff.

"Stop complaining."

Y/N hoists herself up and grabs a niche in the rock above.

"Is this safe?" I question. The rock doesn't look particularly sturdy with a small spray of pebbles tumbling down as Y/N climbs.

"I do this all the time," she assures me from above. "You're a mafia leader, since when are you worried about dying?"

I grumble softly and find my grip on the rough surface before following.

Y/N's only a few feet ahead but when I look down to adjust my footing, I glance up to notice she's gone.

"Y/N?" I ask hesitantly. The only answer is the whispering wind. "Y/N!"

I begin to internally panic.

Did she leave me all alone here on this rock? Was this part of her plan to kill me?

I look down and notice that it's a long jump, too far for me to cover without getting hurt.

"Dream?" Y/N pokes her head over what I assume is the top of the rock. "Why are you still down there?"

"I thought you left me," I sigh with relief, resuming my climb.

"You're just slow," she laughs, reaching down to grab my hand and pull me up. She's surprisingly strong and hauls me up with relative ease.

As I stand up, her hand reaches up to occur my eyes. I instinctively try to push it away but her other hand grasps mine tightly.

"Stop, I want you to see this properly."