Chapter XXXVI: Sooner Than Later I

Начните с самого начала

I leaped up from the couch with speed under my feet. I ran toward the door so fast I almost slammed myself into it, nearly losing my footing on the smooth floors.

I reached for the knob and saw that the knob was being turned on the other side. Without a second thought, I yanked the door open.

Breathless, I looked up at Angel. He looked rather surprised, his hand hanging midair. It appeared he was too slow in opening the door. I smiled up at him, happy to see his face.

" Come here." He said to me, gently wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me into him. He hugged me in a tight, yet comforting manner. I was relieved that he had finally returned. I felt as though I could breathe properly knowing he was here.

" I missed you, Tesoro." I missed you too. I thought. I brought my arms over his shoulders to give his neck a squeeze. He buried his face into the crook of my neck as a result, softly inhaling my scent into his nose.

" Come, I have something I want you to see." He said to me, releasing me from his embrace and pulling my hand in his direction. He closed the door behind him and pulled me along into the living room.

" Take a seat."

I took a seat. I noticed that he had been carrying something similar to a briefcase in one of his hands. Was he carrying that the whole time?

He let out a loud sigh, as he unbuttoned his jacket and flopped down into the chair opposite to me.

" Tesoro, what I'm about to show you is going to shake you up. I want you to know that I am here for you. And I'm not going anywhere." He said to me, his voice deepening as his stare became piercing. His stare that I had become used to.

" Okay?" I said to him, nodding my head. I had become aware of his dark gray ensemble he put together today. He was dressed like he was about to model the cover for GQ, a black cashmere turtle neck sweater adorned his chest. He wore a matching textured suit jacket and suit pant set. Whereas his feet donned the most expensive dress shoes his money had to buy. His hair was slicked back and out of his face.

I felt like his eyes were looking at me through X-ray vision from how hard he was staring at me.

" Okay!" I said once again. Embarrassed that he was just staring at me while I ogled at his good looks.

" Baby, focus!" He snapped at me. I fixed my posture and peered at him with pitiful eyes.

" Do you know anything about your mother?" He asked me. My face scrunched up at his question. Shouldn't he know the answer since he has been stalking me for a while?

" Not really." I told him. Watching him as he ran a hand through his hair. He's going to be bald if he continues to do that.

" Ok. Do you know what your father did for a living?" Once again, I made a sour face at him. Why is he asking me this?

" He did construction." I stated simply. I shrugged my shoulders a bit trying to see where he was going with this.

" Tesoro..." He stopped after that. It seemed like he was struggling to get whatever he had to say out.

" Never mind." He said to me, getting up and throwing the briefcase down.

" Wait, Angel what is it?" I asked him. He was turning to leave the living room when he stopped in his tracks.

" Cara, I know you think I'm some sort of lunatic. That I lack human emotions, and that I do things so aggressively it looks like my sole purpose is to kill any and everything. I mean that literally and metaphorically." He said to me. Looking at me out the corner of his eye as he kept his back to me.

" I have done many things. Most of them are terrible. I have always been quick to anger. I simply cannot stand incompetence nor inconsistency. And yet, it somehow looks like everyone around me only display the behaviors I don't like. Why is that, Tesoro?" He asks me. I was taken aback by the suddenness of this conversation. I was surprised when he put me on the spot, I didn't really know what to say to him.

" Would you like to know why I had to have you?" He asked me. My head bolted up at the question, it was something I was interested in.

He turned his head forward, his back still toward me.

" I was promised you." He said. What did he mean, "promised"? I thought. I began to look at him weirdly.

" Your father, and my father arranged for us to be married a long time ago. I was told to watch you and protect you. Only from afar."He answered, almost as though he heard my inner thoughts.

" The time would come when I would be able to meet you properly. That's what my father always said to me. I could only watch you from so far away. I yearned for you, when we were complete strangers to each other." He stated. Now sighing, as his head fell forward. He began to cross his arms, readjusting himself to stand up properly.

" I know almost everything about you." He mentioned. My heart sinking into the very bottom of my stomach. I was afraid of this happening. His confession. How should I react? I felt like in order for him to "kidnap" me he had to have stalked me. He had to have known some things about me in order to lure me in.

" Mi Tesoro, would you believe me if I told you that I killed your father?" He asked me. My eyebrows furrowed at the question, and my heart began to hammer hard in my chest.

" No." I breathed out, barely above a whisper. I could feel my heartbeat in my ears. My breathing was accelerating with every new beat of my heart.

He chuckled dryly.

" Why?" He asked me. Finally turning around to show me his face. I thought my heart could only drop once, yet it was capable of doing it multiple times. His face looked grim, a small smile was gracing his lips.

" Angel-" I began, then he sprinted at me. As if my hammering heart wasn't enough.

" Dante, do you know why you suffered days and days on end at Georgi Fredo's hideout?" He asked me. I looked up into his eyes as he stared down at me. I gulped, feeling the tears swell in my eyes. I was afraid.

I have been afraid of Angel all this time, but this time there was a menacing aura coming from him. Like he really would kill me.

I looked away from him, his arctic glare preventing me from answering him.

He forcibly grabbed my cheeks with his hand, forcing me to look into his eyes.

" I was hoping Georgi Fredo would kill you." In his hold, with his eyes piercing into mine I visibly shivered. My blood ran cold, I couldn't help the salty fluids leaving my eyes. My heart fell once again into my stomach.

" I was hoping he could do the thing I was too weak to do. I knew that my feelings for you were too strong, and I myself wouldn't be able to detrimentally harm you. So why not have someone else do it for me?" He said to me. This bastard. This man I foolishly and stupidly adored. The man I liked, even after he abducted me. He subjected me to violence from the moment I stepped into that law firm.

I weeped in his grasp. I had tried freeing myself from his hold, but he would not let go. I was beginning to struggle under him.

" Your father was the one responsible for my father's death. I had a sure plan to kill you myself. But when the time came for it, I couldn't do it. Instead, I had those idiot brothers of mine snatch you. And when I finally saw you again, I became greedy and impulsive. I couldn't stop myself from wanting you. So I stayed away." I couldn't believe what he was saying. Then at the same time, I had no reason to doubt him. It was easy for me to feel some type of way toward him because he protected me sometimes, he did things to my body no other man did. I guess in a way I was blind, and naive. I admired his looks, and how well he pleased me. It was my fault.

And mine alone.

................................ ....................................

NOT EDITED

Thanks for reading
-99hikori