Chapter XXXVI: Sooner Than Later I

ANGEL

Unbelievable. If there was one word to categorize all of the things Isabella just told us, it would simply be unbelievable. Me and my brothers sat in silence as we all looked at Isabella. Vito was rubbing his face with an excess amount of force, while Bobby nibbled at his thumb. I on the other hand believed that I was taking this new found information well.

Isabella did provide the necessary information. She also had a substantial amount of proof as well. Isabella had somehow accessed all of the old documents that our father kept. There were pictures of these little girls, their ages and their names were written in red pen on the borders of the photos.

There was paperwork of wired money transfers, evidence of the drop offs of these children under the guise of business exchanges. The people who did business with my father all seemed to use aliases. It was like they all had temporary identities for the sake of trafficking these little babies.

" Isabella, what role did Dante's father play in all this?" I calmly asked her. Leaning forward in the chair to rest my elbows on my knees, bringing my hands under my chin.

" He was the one snatching the girls off the street. Stalking them." She said to me. A pained expression on her face.

Sighing, I rubbed my palm against my cheek.

I knew I was right to kill him.

The old saying goes, ' an eye for an eye'. At first, I was just really upset that my father died so suddenly. I had knew of Dante's "father", I even spoke with him on occasions. There was no lie when Isabella said he and my father did business together. It made sense.

My father and Dante's father, were always together. There was never a time—except for when they went home every night—they weren't together. I just assumed they were close friends. I had no idea they were committing such treacherous acts. The person saying this who kills daily.

Though Dante is the daughter of her father's mistress, her mother simply carried her for nine months. She had plans to push Dante into the trafficking cycle. Had it not been for her father, she would've been in a much terrible situation.

I believe that is why they proposed me and Dante be in an arranged marriage. It clicked. To keep Dante out of the very place he was putting other young girls, he sold his daughter to my father. And my father...

gave her to me.

DANTE

Chase left me about an hour ago. I was laying on the couch, my feet dangling off the arm and my head near the ground. I had my hands folded on my stomach.

I am so bored. I thought to myself.

It was getting darker, and since most of the windows in this house didn't have blinds it was beginning to look creepy outside. Angel has been gone for days. And it seemed like I was starting to not understand myself.

I felt like I was talking to the walls. Entertaining only the thoughts in my mind, because they helped me to pass time. I was holed up in this house like this non stop.

If there was a tv, I would be okay. If there were books, I'd be okay. If there were a board game, a pen and paper I would've made the most of it. If Donnie were here...

My thoughts seemed to trail off after that. I was reminded of his kindness and his warmth when I was with him for that short amount of time. If there were a person I could call a friend, I'm sure that I would be able to call him one.

Now that I think about it, he did give me his number the day I left. The problem was finding it, and having a phone to call him with.

In the midst of my thinking, a click from the lock snapped me out of my thoughts. Oh my goodness. Is that him?