40

Present day.

Chae!"

"Chaewon!" Namjoon shook her shoulders from behind. Chaewon finally snapped out of it.

"S-Sorry, I just got caught up in my thoughts." Chaewon looked around. "Where's Daehyun Oppa?"

Namjoon winced at the sound of his name. "He's gone to the shop across the street. Are you okay?" Namjoon asked cautiously.

Small tears trickled down Chaewon's cheeks.

"Hey, look at me. What's wrong?" Namjoon ushered Chaewon to a picnic table outside the storefront. Chaewon's eyes struggled to leave the painting. Namjoon curiously eyed the painting that had captured her attention.

"I-" Chaewon struggled to get words out.

Namjoon searched the painting more meticulously. Finally, he stumbled upon the initials on the bottom right corner. C.Y.

"Don't say anything, I understand you." Namjoon said, pulling Chaewon into his arms. Chaewon burst into tears, sobbing into his chest.

"I-It" Chaewon began, unable to finish the sentence.

"Shhh. It's okay, we can talk about it later if you want." Namjoon drew circles around Chaewon's back, trying to soothe her crying.

It had been 4 years since her sister's death, but seeing the painting had rehashed some of the wounds that were left.

Namjoon eyed the painting once again, searching for the price. His eyes landed on the small card under the painting that read "€9500".

Suddenly, he felt the urge to buy the painting, wanting to gift it to Chaewon. But before he could say anything, a short man, probably in his 20s requested to purchase the painting.

Chaewon quickly looked up from Namjoon's chest, staring at the man who was now paying for her sister's last painting. While tears continued to fall, all she could think about was how terrible of a sister she was. She couldn't even purchase her own sister's last painting?

Feeling burdened by guilt, Chaewon looked back up at Namjoon, who was already looking back at her with furrowed eyebrows in worry.

"Is she okay? Chae-" Namjoon cut Daehyun off, whose hand had somehow snaked around her waist.

"You're free to go. I'll be with her." Namjoon said, adorning a passive aggressive smile. Daehyun thought about protesting, but feeling intimidated, he retreated, and slowly disappeared.

Namjoon turned his full attention to Chaewon. He searched her face, looking for something besides sorrow.

He bent down and left a soft kiss on her forehead. Then, he brought her to a nearby bench, and held her in silence, while she digested what had just happened.

-

"It's been 4 hours. We have to go looking for them." Jimin spoke up.

The boys were convened in Jungkook's room, worried about Namjoon and Chaewon.

"I agree, we have to. What if some crazy fans recognized Namjoon? I mean he has his bodyguard, but still." Jin added. All of the boys nodded in agreement.

The boys grabbed their coats and started to head out, but almost as if they spoke it into existence, Namjoon and Chaewon emerged in the hallway. They walked slowly as Namjoon held a protective arm around Chaewon's waist. Both of them were drenched from the sudden rain fall.

Jimin ran up to them, basically scolding them for coming back so late.

"Chae, go take a bath, you don't want to catch a cold." Namjoon let go of Chaewon's waist, slightly nudging her towards the room. She complied, and disappeared into the room.

"Guys, I need your help." Namjoon said. The boys all came closer until they were basically in a circle, eager to help the man that had helped them so much over the years.

"What is it?" Jin asked earnestly.

"I need to get a painting. It's Chaewon's sisters last painting. Someone bought it before I could." Namjoon shook his head, clearly disappointed in himself.

"How are we supposed to if someone already bought it?" Jungkook asked.

"I asked Sejun hyung (Namjoon's bodyguard) to follow him."

"You asked hyung to stalk someone?" Yoongi asked. Namjoon's eyes shifted to Yoongi's. Yoongi took a step back realizing that Namjoon was not in the mood for jokes.

"Once we get the call I really need your guys help to convince him to sell it to us. I don't care how much it is, if he agrees just buy it." The boys all nodded.

"And another thing, Chaewon shouldn't know about this. So please, keep it between us."

"You have nothing to be worried about, hyung." Jimin replied.

"Taehyung, please make sure he doesn't tell her." Namjoon said. The boys snickered.

-

Chaewon got out of the shower, her hair was wrapped up in a towel and she wore her pajamas.

"Calling it a night?" Namjoon asked her. It was 7pm.

She nodded, not answering. Namjoon watched as she opened up the blanket and slid in. She turned, facing her back to Namjoon and let out a big sigh.

"Chae." Namjoon said softly. The room was pin drop silent.

"Okay, you don't have to answer me. But please just hear me out. Everything is going to be okay. You have me. Please never forget that." By now, small tears slipped out of Namjoon's eyes. He felt helpless, unable to help one of the closest people in his life. Someone he loved and cherished. Someone he didn't want to see upset.

Namjoon got up, planning to go to one of the guys rooms, but before he could leave, Chaewon's soft voice was heard.

"Please stay with me." She said. Namjoon froze in his tracks, immediately turning around. He smiled slightly as he lay next to her, drawing circles on her arm.

"Everything will be okay." Namjoon said, as they both drifted off to sleep.