Chapter 11 - Nebulous

"So, Teardrop- did you miss all of us?" Firey inquires with great interest as he leans in towards the suited contestant, who seems content leaving it all behind. She nods. "I've gotta say...I'm kind of surprised you'd want to leave all of this...you've really made it, you know?" Taco says, gesturing to the high ceilings, decorated with extravagant paintings. Quality lays in every inch of this office. "That's true..." Lollipop agrees with a hum. "Though, we are competing for a BFB. Even with her millions, it's not something you can just buy. Unless..." Her eyes drift over to Four, who stands there idly with a dead stare and wide grin.

"Not a chance." Four says finally, Lollipop shrugging. "Well, that's a relief to know. I'd hate the idea of someone just being able to just steal away the prize...again." She says, almost irritated by the idea of another competition being throttled by such a thing. At least Four was a good host in that regard. Firey worries his lip between his teeth at the thought. "Ye-yeah! Haha...on a totally unrelated note..." He moves towards X, catching their attention. "X! Can you maybe find out where Leafy is...?" He asks. X twists the dial on the device in their hands with a grin. "I sure can! Off we go!" He chirps before firing at the ground without warning.

You brace your arms out in front of you, startled by the sudden feeling of falling, only to land in a field of grass unlike any you've felt before. It is long, fibrous in texture, comparable to luxuriously soft fur. The impact felt firm, but not painful. A few of the others grumble and groan, their landings not all as comfortable. You open your eyes and gaze up towards the sky, sitting up slowly to peer at this new world. The skies are a deep, rose pink. A nearby gaseous planet is visible in the sky, as close as the moon is to the Earth, the vibrant bands of the planet's storms visible on its surface. Your gaze shifts back to the ground in front of you, the fluffy fields continuing for hundreds of miles beyond. There are no trees, but instead large, thick vines with spines sticking from them. From these curling vines are flowers, rose-like in structure. Toothed, carnivorous jaws rest in the center pistils of the flowers, their massive size causing you to momentarily wonder what a thing like that could even eat.

It's hard to think about anything. You wonder if the landing was harder than you initially thought. Your mind feels like it's swimming, thoughts incoherent and looping. Your vision is overwhelmed with the bright pinks and violets on the landscape, and your ears feel numb. Your nose is assaulted by a sweet scent that is thick in the air, the smell floral and nearly vile. Your eyes drag over to the contestants nearest to you, Spongy, Ruby, and Firey. Spongy lays on his back, legs kicking carelessly and a smile etched on his face, as if he didn't have a care in the world. Ruby stands up and begins to stagger away from the rest of you, Firey picking up the furry grass in bundles. He holds them against his body, watching as they ignite into ash and float away. Others around watch in awe. Why are they acting so strange? Weren't you supposed to be urgent about something? What was that something again..?

Maybe Four will know.

"F...Four..." You slur out, your voice unrecognizable as you manage to stand, dragging your feet through the grass and spinning around slowly in search for the host. You bump your back right into him, he turns and looks at you. He's holding a hand on his face, looking rather stressed. "Y/N."

"Yeah...Four?"

"What were...we doing just now?" He asks. He doesn't sound like himself either. They sound tired, like they haven't slept in days. You look up at him, faintly noticing a sway as he stood there. Poor thing. Maybe you could help him. You just wanted to hold him...

So you do. You unconsciously step forward, wrapping your arms around him to squeeze him close. "Aww...Four..."

It's all you manage to say. Your mind is betraying you.