Chapter 2 - Connection

You clean and dry another dish in the sink, staring out the window to the parking lot below. It's another rainy day, and you've decided to stay in. It's Monday, and you have a friend who you would typically visit after work, but felt glad that they canceled. After all, you've been much more preoccupied the past week. Four has been well, despite resting often and moving sparingly. The two of you have gotten to know one another a bit better in the hours that he's awake. You've provided them with a lot of amenities, including your tablet which you lent to him so he may keep himself entertained while you're away at work or at school.

As you reach down into the sink to grab at one of the few plates left soaking in the water, you hear a grunt and thud from your room. You turn over your shoulder with worry, not hearing anything else for several moments. "Four?" You call out. "You okay?"

They don't answer, you quirking your brow before drying off your hands and hurrying into the room. As you draw closer, you can hear Four struggling with something, though you aren't entirely sure with what until you step into your bedroom. Four isn't on the bed, but is on the floor, sitting and straining with his eyes squeezed shut and sharpened teeth grinding. He floats up a little, before falling back down to the floor and landing on their face. He picks himself up, staring at the carpet underneath him in utter disbelief.

"Four, what are you doing?" You ask him. He sits up and stares at his hand, snapping his finger a few times. Nothing happens and you continue to watch with a confused expression. After snapping his fingers over and over again, they start to get agitated, and then angry as you draw closer.

"WHY. ISN'T. IT. WORKING?!" He shouts angrily, shaking his hand out after snapping it until it's painful, gripping at his head and storming around. "What's not-" You start, still muddled by his behavior. He cuts you off with a stern. "Quiet, you!" He stomps around a little more, straining and slowly starting to panic. With one last, futile attempt, he crouches and tenses up again, shooting up towards the ceiling. He smashes into it and falls back down, the drywall chipping and sprinkling down onto the carpet. He holds his head, clearly seeing stars from the impact, the ceiling cracking a little further. You quickly rush over, scooping him up into your arms as a chunk of the ceiling drops down and crumbles on the carpet. That's not going to be fun explaining to your landlord...but there are more pressing issues at hand.

"Four, Four- it's okay, it's okay...relax. Let me help you. What is going on?" His tantrum halts, becoming very expressive with his hands as he rambles on to explain. "My magic, Y/N- it's not working! How am I supposed to run the challenges or send eliminated contestants to the EXIT- I can't even levitate properly, which is like- the most basic thing to do!" The realization dawns on him and he blinks. "I'm not going to even get back! This is bad, Y/N- This is super bad!" He tugs at his nubs, attempting to desperately self soothe his nerves. You pat his shoulder in an attempt to reassure him.

"Hey...hey..." You pause, not exactly knowing what to say to help him in this situation. You then peer back over your shoulder, seeing the bits of drywall scattered along the ground. Four buried his face in his hands, you nudging him lightly whilst turning to look at the damage. "You messed up my ceiling." Four looks up and to the rubble, then back to you with a confused and somewhat remorseful look. "And you did that with your magic, so..." You continue. "Maybe it's like...on the fritz or something? I don't know what...moving to an entirely new dimension would do, but it's possible, right? Maybe you just need to practice."

Four furrows his brow and frowns at the idea. He'd spent many, many millennia learning his skills and refining them. After throwing so many thousands of years into magical studies, he'd become quite possibly the strongest on the Equation Playground. Would they really be able to relearn everything? "I'll help you if I can, Four. I can't do any magic like you, but..." Four smiles and looks at you. It's a warm smile, not like anything you've seen him do in the show before. He slides out of your arms and to the ground, placing his hands on his hips. "That is some excellent motivation, Y/N! Thank you for..." He trails off for a second, looking to the side. You remind him of X, he realizes, who was always there to offer him support no matter what. The corner of his lip twitches, smile wavering only for a moment. He misses X. "Err...for being such a great friendo!" He chirps after a moment.