Chapter 5 - Recovery

The speckling sunbeams dancing through your curtains creep across your face, causing you to finally stir from your deep slumber. You squint as you awake, reaching up to rub the sleepiness from your eyes and stretch out your arms and legs on the couch.

When you open them again, you're met with a pleasant surprise, finally acknowledging the strange, small weight on your chest. It's Four, snuggled up against you, one arm underneath their head to help support the bump on the side. The other hand clutches your shirt, legs tucked up comfortably against their stomach.

He looks like he made himself quite comfortable and you struggle to contain the noise of adoration you so desperately wanted to make at the sight. Four was quite possibly the cutest thing you've ever seen. How did he get here, you wonder, peering to the Four plush laying on the floor beside the couch. You lay there for a little while longer, Four snoozing away. You learn quickly that he snores, a light nasally snore that was rather quiet. They're one to drool in their sleep as well, given the wet spot underneath their mouth. Not the most graceful sleeper, but downright adorable nonetheless. You would love for him to stay there as long as he wanted, but...

You had to go to the bathroom. As soon as possible. Reaching up to stroke his head, you gingerly scratch and rub the skin soothingly, the gentle touching causing him to slowly stir to consciousness.

"Huh...?...Oh...mm..." He groggily blinks awake, rolling over onto their stomach and grabbing onto your shirt tightly. "4 more minutes..." They muffle into your chest.

"Only 4 more minutes..? Most people would be pretty eager to take 5." You tease playfully.

"No! Only 4!" They grumble tiredly. So very grumpy in the mornings...

So you wait 4 minutes, rolling over onto your side after, laying him on the couch and pulling the blanket up over his torso. "I'm going to go ahead and make breakfast. You can get up when you're ready." He growls, pulling the blanket up over his head. Knowing that they don't want to be pestered any longer, you head off to the bathroom to get ready for the day. Afterwards, seeing he's still asleep, you make your way to the kitchen and start preparing omelets to share. Once you're done, you seat yourself on the couch next to Four, setting the plate next to him. In the blink of an eye, a blue hand reaches out from under the blanket, snatching the dish and pulling it underneath. From those voracious sounds you can hear, he seems to be enjoying your cooking.

When they're finished, they throw the blanket off of them, landing in the distant corner across the room. Four stands there, smile wide on their face, giving you a big thumbs up. "Mm! Pretty good, Y/N! Some of your best work!" You chortle, taking the plates in your hands to head to the kitchen and clean them. "You think so? I'll have to keep up the good work then. Are we going to go out to the field again, Four? It's sunny out today, so you can work on those zappies of yours today, if you want."

"Hrrmmmmm, yes. I've got a good feeling about today." They nod confidently, you quickly pulling your coat onto your shoulders. This was starting to feel like a pleasant routine for you both, Four flying into your chest with enough force to cause you to stagger back with a soft 'oof'. He looked so happy as he clung to you, you softly smiling. You pat his head and snugly close up the coat behind him, hurrying out the door towards the field.

You walk briskly, the bright sunny day leaving the humid air sticky and uncomfortable as your hair frizzed and clung to your forehead. Not only did you look strange with such a voluminous raincoat on a clear day, but by Four fidgeting inside, you can tell they were getting uncomfortable in the stuffy environment as well. "We're almost there, Four. Just a bit longer." You assure. Just as you're about to turn around the corner, you spot a police officer patrolling the neighborhood down the street. While harboring an extraterrestrial number wasn't illegal by any means, you could only imagine how suspicious you looked, sweating heavily in that large coat. You weren't sure if you'd be stopped on the street, but found it necessary to avoid any conflict that you could.