Chapter 10 - Wonderstruck

The wind whips against your face as you and the others enter the next world, a vast wasteland of fluffy white snow. Not a sign of life anywhere, though what kind of life could survive out in conditions like this? "Everyone, get behind Spongy!" Taco shouts, the other contestants shuffling through the snow to get to safety behind the large sponge. Spongy muffles in protest, his face quickly becoming coated by the flakes piling up. You struggle to move, Bubble whipping past you with a particularly strong gust of wind, her lightweight body sent upwards. As you are the closest to her, you reach up quickly, grabbing her by the leg. "HELP!" She cried out, flailing her arms around desperately.

Ruby looks up in shock at her movements, jaw slacking agape. "Bubble, how could you not care about flying away?! Come on, Y/N! You're almost there!" Ruby called out to you. You were already waist deep in the snow, struggling more and more. The contestants that hid watched in fear, Four leaning out very slightly behind Spongy, his arm stretching out to grab you and set you next to him. "Oooh- thoink you so much, Y/N!" Bubble says as you panted, bracing your hands against your knees. You feel exhausted already, the cold biting at you still, even with this shelter. It appears that everyone is having a difficult time, huddling against one another for warmth. The only ones who didn't seem bothered were Four and X, though that was expected.

"What the heck are we going to do?!" Taco asks urgently, while you find it much too hard to even think straight with all this frigidity and panic. "H-hold on...l...lemme think..." You murmur out, teeth chattering. "W-wait...Four- can you recover Firey, please?" Four doesn't respond verbally, but instead smiles and holds his hand out, Firey flying out of his palm. The fireball contestant looks around, bewildered, unsure where he is. The others, however, instantly loosen up, relieved as they surround the warm contestant. That feels so much better. You glance over at X, who stands idly by with the Contestant Locator-inator held up to their chest. "X, how far away did you say Lollipop was again?" You inquire, X glancing down to read the number displayed. "Oh! She's right over there!" He points, Taco feeling more and more exasperated by the minute. "How are we supposed to spot her out here? She's probably already frozen and buried in the show. Can't we just recover her and move on?" She asks.

Four shakes his head. "She's not dead." He says confidently, Ruby peering out in the direction that X was pointing, observing a little closer. "Umm...there's something out there, guys? Though, I don't remember Lolly being square-shaped..."

"Well, yeah...that's cuz...wait, what is that?" Firey asks, also peering across the landscape. "Looks like a box..."

"That must be where Lollipop is!" Taco exclaims, pushing up against Spongy's back. "Sorry about this, Spongy...I promise I'll make it up to you." She swore. "Come on, guys- we need to push Spongy over there!" She demands, others quickly following suit. All except for Four, who stands there blankly as he usually did.

"Four?" You turn, confused why he is just standing there. You don't want to leave him here in the cold and the wind, though you are sure that it wouldn't bother him all that much. You would have to get him to come with you somehow. Finally, you sigh. You're sure you know what he wants.

"Four...would you like to hold my hand again?" You ask with a smile. They immediately slide towards you, grabbing your hand snuggly in his. The others struggle to push Spongy across the snow, but the moment you touch Four's hand against the back of the large contestant, he starts to move much quicker. The rest of you hardly have to push as Four nudged Spongy along with ease, looking very content while doing it. You glance over to the others, who for once don't seem unnerved by Four's presence. In fact, several of them watch in awe as the blue algebralien assists them.

In just a short time, you've reached the box, noticing the white wrapping paper with intricately crossed red ribbons, complete with a bow on top. It looks like a large Christmas gift. Certainly big enough to fit a contestant inside.