Chapter 6 - Return

Four became practically glued to your side for the following weeks after re-learning recovery. From the moment you returned home from work, you would spend most of your time together. Sleeping arrangements had changed drastically. You had planned to stay on the couch for the duration of Four's time living with you to keep them comfortable. However, they had different plans. Almost every morning, you'd wake up with your Four plush discarded somewhere across the room, Four himself sprawled out ungracefully on top of you. Eventually, the presence of this plush became infuriating to him. As you laid out on the couch with the toy tucked against your chest, he stands before you with a frown and a glare.

"What's wrong, Four?"

He doesn't answer, instead squinting and firing blinding white lasers from his eyes. The plush vanishes, you immediately become shocked and cross with him. "Four, what the heck?! I liked that plushie!"

"Hrrrrn! Quiet!" He scorns, throwing his arms up. "Why do you need to sleep with that...weird, bad imitation of me! I'm right here, aren't I?!" He snaps, you sitting up with a scowl. It softens, however, when you realize what he wants. With a sigh, you reach down to scoop him up. "You've gotten too comfortable, you know that?" You tease and he squints. "Hrmm. Whatever. Who doesn't like being comfortable?" They mumble as you pick up your blanket and move back into your bedroom, silently grateful to finally be able to sleep in your own bed again. From that day, it became a constant. You two would sleep huddled up against one another. Four would practice their magic in your home, finally getting a great deal of control over it again, and you would spend the remainder of these days together once you would return.

Such a cozy routine would eventually have to come to an end, and as you awake to Four sitting on top of you, staring at you while leaning in extremely close, you wouldn't guess this would be it's finale. You blink your eyes a few times in tiredness and confusion, stretching your arms out above your head. "Goodmorning, Four..." You yawn. "Hello, Y/N! Are you ready to go?" You cock your head in confusion. "We can't go back to that field, you know...the whole place was pretty much destroyed..." You murmur sleepily.

Four shoves his hand onto your mouth to quiet you from talking. "Not the field! We're going back. We need to get back to finishing BFB~" Your heart plummets into your stomach, quickly sitting up. Four tumbles back into your lap. "Today?! You're leaving now???"

Four nods, but feels he needs to correct you. "Yeh. We're leaving!" He cheered enthusiastically. You feel your mouth go dry. You'd have to tell them. "H-how...are we getting there?" You force yourself to ask, wondering if you'd be able to buy any time to prepare yourself. "It's easy-peasy! Just a snap of my fingers and we'll be out of here!" You bite your lip and he goes to raise his hand, index and thumb fingers pressed together.

"F-Four- hold on- wait!" You reach out and gently grab his wrist, his expression immediately switching to agitated. He glares at you, not appreciating being stopped so suddenly. You pat his hand to soothe his sudden irritation. He lets his arms drop to his sides, waiting somewhat patiently to hear what you have to say. You nervously rub your arm with your hand, finding it difficult to make eye contact as you think of the right thing to say.

"I...uh...I can't...I can't come with you, Four."

"Huh...? Yes, you can. I can snap us both back, you know." He says sternly.

"I know you can, but...I have a family here. I have friends, a job...school..." You speak quietly. "I know you've been wanting this, but- I...I didn't want to say goodbye. I just don't know how."

You manage to flick your glance over to him. Four looks upset. "But- but...you said you'd come back with me! Taking that back now, are you?!"

"Four, that was...a roleplay...it wasn't real."